Selling cars privately, don't be sloppy. - local yokel
Found this on another forum. A good lesson for all private sellers:

Sold a Mitsubishi Star Wagon Delicia 2.5 TDi on eBay the other day. It had been in the family since it was imported and cared for like a family member. (Sort of a poor man's camper van).

Anyway, I agreed to meet the buyer at a local station as the bloke was comming some distance by train. He arrived, I showed him all over it, he paid £1000 in cash as agreed and signed a document of sale with the mileage recorded. He wanted directions to the motorway and I wanted a lift home.

This is where it starts to go 'tits up'. I agreed to show him how it drove and about 2 miles from my village he took over.

As he entered the village (and I was 50 yards from drop off) he slowed to about 20mph as there was a T junction ahead.

He then braked further as there was traffic coming. EXCEPT he hit the wrong pedal and floored it. The good old 2.5 TDi leapt into life and we accelerated to about 30+ mph 'head on' straight into the brick wall of a pub.

30+ mph to zero in about 18 inches. To add insult to injury the passenger side where I was, was then 'T' boned by a builders transit van for good measure.

My pride and joy sold 20 mins before and having done 6 miles was a total 'right off'. Still I did have my £1000 and a document of sale.

Two cop cars, two fire engines and two ambulances. Two people in the pub were taken to hospital and so was I.

Feel like I've been done over with a baseball bat. Whiplash neck and a badly bruised chest. Missed my game of football as well!!!!!

Let this be a warning to all. Never let buyers drive your car till they have paid over in cash!

Damage to pub estimated at £11,000
Selling cars privately, don't be sloppy. - Dalglish
Let this be a warning to all. Never let buyers drive your car till they have paid over in cash!

eh? once they have paid the cash, it is not your car.

i think the lesson is don't let anyone (potential buyers or anyone else) drive your car unless you have proper insurance cover.
Selling cars privately, don't be sloppy. - Peter D
Did the driver have a valid certificate of insurance and did you view it prior to him driving. If you did not request to see the document then you are guilty of 'aiding and abetting' an uninsured driver. If the driver was going to drive the vehicle on his DOV 'Drive other Vechicles' extension to his fully comp policy then he is not insured as he owned the vehicle and DOV is specifically for vehicles not owned or hired by the policy holder. Regards Peter
Selling cars privately, don't be sloppy. - jc2
He didn't own the vehicle-he'd not paid for it-only a deposit!
He didn't own the vehicle-he'd not paid for it-only a deposit!

who says so?
If you did not request to see the document then you are guilty of 'aiding and abetting' an uninsured driver.

surely you have no duty or right to ask the owner of a vehicle to produce their certificate before they give you a lift.

if your statement is true, do your passengers ask you to show them your certificate because otherwise surely they are aiding and abetting you in case you turn out not to be insured?
Selling cars privately, don't be sloppy. - Brian Tryzers
Chaps - read LY's post carefully. The story isn't his, it's one he's quoting from another forum as an example of 'how not to do it'.
Chaps - read LY's post carefully. The story isn't his, ..

yes i got that.

Guys - read it even more carefully - it's a "how to do it" - he had the cash, and he'd given the buyer a receipt. Thus it was beyond doubt who owned (and thus who had to insure) the vehicle. Just as well given the events that soon transpired.
Selling cars privately, don't be sloppy. - Brian Tryzers
True. I still think I might have taken the bloke's money and gone home - or to the bank with all that cash - by taxi. But then I'm obviously far too much of a worrier to make it in the car-seliing business.
Yes as long as he had paid for it and signed the receipt before he drove it then there is not a problem. My point was to make people aware of when selling a car how you can get caught out when a 'prospective' owner drives Your car. On re-reading my post it was slightly misleading However, as there was no mention of the new owner ringing his insurance company then either he has an open or trade insurance policy, or he was in fact relying on DOV which would not be valid and is third party only. That's going to hurt a lot. Regards Peter
Selling cars privately, don't be sloppy. - The Lawman
On the question of ownership, then unless the two people involved here expressly agreed otherwise, then ownership changes when the deal is agreed. Money does not even have to change hands, but if it does (as in this case) then that is the best evidence possible that the deal has been agreed.

The sellers position therefore ought to be that he is entitled to the balance of the purchase price, and the damage to the other vehicles and buildings is the buyers problem, not his.
Lawman - I think the £1000 was the full consideration.

There was mention in a later post that the new owner confimed after the accident that he had arepviously informed his insurer of the change and was covered for TP at least.
Selling cars privately, don't be sloppy. - The Lawman
Sorry, quite right.

But I don't get the point of this thread. The car was sold and the money was paid. Everything is the buyer's problem now.

Is the point of the post that you shouldn't travel in a car with someone who is driving it for the first time? Apart from that, what?
.. But I don't get the point of this thread. The car was sold and the money was paid ..

:: ;-) :: agree. it is pointless. exactly what i tried to say politely in my first reply above! :: ;-) ::
Apart from that, what?

maybe just that you should make sure your car is insured before you drive it. but, again, nothing new in that!
The point was, that even if selling a car for cash, for a small sum, do the paperwork, so it's clear who owns the car.
Selling cars privately, don't be sloppy. - FotheringtonThomas
Did the driver have a valid certificate of insurance and did
you view it prior to him driving. If you did not
request to see the document then you are guilty of 'aiding
and abetting' an uninsured driver.

You are not. It is not "aiding and abetting". If you tell the driver that they may drive "as long as they have the appropriate insurance" that is a sufficient defence.
I know I made the assumption that he 'Test ' drove the vehicle where it appears he did not. Regards Peter
Selling cars privately, don't be sloppy. - Pugugly {P}
"If you did not request to see the document then you are guilty of 'aiding and abetting' an uninsured driver"

No.