How much is a taxi worth? - wazza
Brother in law has a vw passat 130hp tdi sport on a 02 plate with 95k on the clock. He has had it for approx 8 months. He has an eye on an audi and wants to sell the vw. He is asking £4500 for it. He keeps it in good condition and regularly services it.

He took it to a garage which had the audi. The garage offered aroung £4500 but when they found it is a taxi they valued it at £3500. Don't know if the garage were taking the mickey. They said they have to legally inform the buyer that it was once a taxi.

I know that taxi tend to lead a hard life but some owners keep it in tip top
condition to keep it on the road and also as a requirement from their operator.

how much do you reckon it is worth? Mot is till end of this year
How much is a taxi worth? - Simon
I don't think there is any legal obligation to declare that it has once been used as a taxi, but if the garage noticed by themselves then it will be reasonably obvious to any other potential buyers. And when people realise that the car they are looking at is an ex-taxi it tends to put them off. I suppose it conjours up images of intergaltic mileages, everyman and his dog climbing across the back seat and the car generally having a hard life, even though the owner may have kept it in tip top condition.

So maybe the garage wanted to knock the part ex price price down as they knew they were going to have to sell it cheap to get rid of it. They don't want to make a loss on the deal but as to whether it is worth £1k less is anyones guess.
How much is a taxi worth? - a900ss
I wouldn't buy an ex-taxi regardless of how it had been looked after.

You just cannot compare an ex-taxi with a 'normal' private car. EVERYTHING will have been worked harder, the rear doors, the seats, the seat belts, clutch, brakes, suspension, everything.

Town driving is hard work on a car as is multiple passengers in and out all the time. Also, what about the electrics with the meter, the radio, etc all being fitted and 'maybe' not removed correctly.

I'll take a secondhand private ar and pay more for it everytime.

PS - My father is a taxi driver so I do know what these cars have to endure.
How much is a taxi worth? - Wee Willie Winkie
Exactly the reason why the motor finance company I work for (and probably most others) do not provide finance for private hire drivers. After 36/48/60 months, the car will be worth no more than a basket of bananas....
How much is a taxi worth? - Pugugly {P}
The acid test being would you pay top whack for an ex-taxi knowing its past ?
How much is a taxi worth? - Altea Ego
My thoughts about ex taxi's is thus.

They buy a car and work it to the point wheres its uneconomic. That point is not the point I would want to be as the new owner.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >