Suspiciously Cheap cars on Ebay - Surrey_Scientist

People have discussed cars on Ebay that look suspiciously too cheap....

I'd never really looked at any ads before, but happened to catch this one when I was doing a broad-sweep search for toyota spares and it came up with the usual junk when you are doing relatively non-specific keyword searches.

an 03 Avensis that has supposedly only done 37,000 miles

tinyurl.com/2zyf62

Looking at the state of the engine bay and the dirty looking drivers seat, Iwould guess 137,000 minimum, probabaly even mre than that.

Judging by the low-bid price it has reached £3,800 with 2hrs togo, everyone else reckons it is dodgy too.

Does the seller really think people will believe this is a low-mileage car, and wouldn't you make some attempt to smarten it up, or just not show those shots of the filthy seat and engine bay, just some nice shots of an over-polished exterior.

I wonder if it is just clocked or there is something else iffy too ?
Suspiciously Cheap cars on Ebay - barchettaman
Very iffy - it´s the first thing he´s sold.
Canny buyers are staying away, and waiting something similar from a (more) reputable seller.
Obviously it *could* be as described, but there´s a lot of doubt there.
Suspiciously Cheap cars on Ebay - none
I don't know how far the handbrake normally comes up on a Toyota, but this one looks pretty near the end of any acceptable travel.
Suspiciously Cheap cars on Ebay - Pugugly {P}
An effort to clean the grime around the plastic bits in the engine bay might have gone sime way to give meaning to the phrase "very mint". Is this the sor tof mint with a hole in it I wonder. Mucky interior, hardly looks factory fresh.
if you look at his other items for sale he has Yaris

supposedly 12,000 miles.

It may just be the lighting, but the gearknob and steering wheel look quite worn

Underbonnet also very mucky.........

I am assuming it is very easy to "clock" modern cars with a digital LCD mileometer - just a gizmo from ebay and/or alaptp with suitable interface ?

Suspiciously Cheap cars on Ebay - Stuartli
It could be worth reporting it to e-Bay itself - it seems keen normally to maintain its reputation.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Suspiciously Cheap cars on Ebay - mss1tw
i18.ebayimg.com/01/i/000/99/27/291e_1.JPG

If that is almost pristine I will drink the old coolant from my car with a brake fluid chaser.
Suspiciously Cheap cars on Ebay - pmh
Yaris...

One owner, 12k and 4 new tyres, what sort of life has it lead?
--

pmh (was peter)

Well spotted pmh!!
Oh, he says almost new - so they could still be the originals? Ambiguous wording
Suspiciously Cheap cars on Ebay - the original horse
old but true saying "if its too cheap theres something wrong" , or something like that ?!
but there again theres life, and theres ebay ..........
Suspiciously Cheap cars on Ebay - henry k
an 03 Avensis that has supposedly only done 37 000 miles
Looking at the state of the engine bay and the dirty > looking drivers seat Iwould guess 137 000 minimum probabaly even mre than that.
Judging by the low-bid price it has reached £3 800 with 2hrs togo everyone else reckons it is dodgy too.
I wonder if it is just clocked or there is something else iffy too ?

>>
Yes - he wants 6.5K ;-)

Still only £3.9K with less than 35 mins to go
Suspiciously Cheap cars on Ebay - henry k
An interesting bidding history AND the reserve was made spot on.

500 viewed it but not too many bid for it.
Suspiciously Cheap cars on Ebay - DavidHM
Thing is, if you're going to clock a car, surely you'd use some of your extra profit margin from doing so to hide the fact?

I'm not saying one way or another whether these cars are genuine low milers but if I were that way inclined, my clocked car would be the shiniest, cleanest car within 100 miles, even compared to the ones with genuine mileage.

compared to the Yaris:

my L-reg Corolla is nearly 14yrs old, and 120,000 miles and the (original) wheel covers are not that chewed up. And my steeringwheel and gearknob are not that worn.

I am amazed that Avensis has been sold at 6.5K....

How did someone on here guess that he had 6.5K as their reserve ?

Suspiciously Cheap cars on Ebay - Pugugly {P}
Dunno if it's struck anyone else but both cars seem to have a sor tof reddish dust rsidue (mats and underbonnet) - there's no excuse for punting cars that dirty and trying ot say they're mint...
Suspiciously Cheap cars on Ebay - DavidHM
How did someone on here guess that he had 6.5k as his reserve?

Someone asked the seller a question:

I am interested in this car, but you have said this car was registered abroad. Which country and was it originally built and registered in England? my number is 07976 (deleted) if you can give me a call. A prompt response would be appreciated as sale is near the end.

A: Hi, It is a UK car and it does not says any where that it is registered abroad. and the reserve price is 6500 pounds. so if you want to buy the car it better be 6500 as if you buy same car from a dealership they will charge you no less then 8000. good luck. bye

One bid over £6,500 would take the car past reserve even if no one else was willing to pay over £4k for it.

As for the wheel covers - they're no worse than my mate's genuine 30k mile Clio - and he's only put 12k of those miles on it and they were fine when he got them. I'd say it's difficult to assess wear to the steering wheel, pedals and gearknob, from a photo but obviously they should be as new at this age/mileage.
Suspiciously Cheap cars on Ebay - bathtub tom
I wonder if his ears are burning?
Suspiciously Cheap cars on Ebay - fossyant
Yaris' (Yari plural ?) generally come with Bridgestones, and they aren't.

Does look a bit fishy - the engine bay is very 'dusty'
Suspiciously Cheap cars on Ebay - T Lucas
You are all thinkimg of reasons not to buy,because you are not in the market to buy.The people that want to buy have made the decision and so will bid to the limit that they have set themselves.A bit of dust or a damaged wheeltrim will make no difference to them.
Suspiciously Cheap cars on Ebay - Theunisse
Yarises? Plural of Lexus - Lexi? Definitely ;-)
Suspiciously Cheap cars on Ebay - Lou_O
It sold, but there's been no feedback from the buyer.

A bit of a warning sign in my book...
Suspiciously Cheap cars on Ebay - movilogo
I would guess 137,000 minimum

You're probably too optimistic!

Last month, a friend of mine went for a Nissan Primera from a small garage.
It's mileage was shown 43,000.

He did a data check and mileage was revealed as 343,000!

Naturally, Primeras are good candidates for taxis.
Suspiciously Cheap cars on Ebay - bhoy wonder
This car is just not right. The car is spotless on the outside but all marked on the inside. If the car is as they say which I doubt. Then I would spend the £50 and get it valeted properly.
Suspiciously Cheap cars on Ebay - Ford Dagenham
Hello

The interior shot of the dashboard etc on the first picture is filthy.

Look at the second pic. looks a bit like a different car.

Who smashes up wheel covers in 12k miles.

More like 60,000 as the gearknob is shiny.
--
(iam not a mechanic)
Martin Winters
Suspiciously Cheap cars on Ebay - Baskerville
I'm not sure dirt is a good indicator of mileage. My car has an engine bay just like that and it's on about 50,000 miles (all done by me or O/H). I just haven't ever cleaned in there. Mind you, I'm not trying to sell it.
Suspiciously Cheap cars on Ebay - Altea Ego
Mines done 40k miles. Its filthy. An engine bay is a filthy place. It never gets cleaned, for do so woudl create problems that dont exist.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Suspiciously Cheap cars on Ebay - tintin01
The seller's surly reply to the question would have put me off straightaway.
Suspiciously Cheap cars on Ebay - mike hannon
An engine bay doesn't have to be a filthy place.
You could eat your dinner off the engine in both my Hondas, mainly - I guess - because I'm proud of the engineering under the bonnet. I'm the sort of person who would have polished the brasswork on my well-maintained steam engine if I'd lived 100-odd years ago. Or used a rag on the polished levers in my box if I'd been a railway signalman.
Of course, I can't speak for diesel engines...
To get back to the thread, I am fed up with reporting listings of desirable classic cars at ludicrous 'buy it now' prices to eBay. The last one was a 2,700-mile Daimler/Jaguar V8 from the 1960s at 5,000 quid, with all the details and pix stolen from a magazine ad. I happened to know the real seller, who wants 35k for it! Although eBay always emails to say how seriously they take this problem, it just goes on. In this case the genuine owner was forced to list the car on eBay himself to warn people about the scammer because the fake listing hadn't been removed. And there were STILL plonkers bidding on it.
Suspiciously Cheap cars on Ebay - R40
Although eBay always emails to say how seriously they take this
problem it just goes on. In this case the genuine owner was forced to list
the car on eBay himself to warn people about the scammer because the fake listing
hadn't been removed. And there were STILL plonkers bidding on it.

Wholeheartedly agree with you. Myself and many others are sick and tired of reporting similar known scam listings (Rover 75 and ZT's in our cases ,esp V8's) on ebay. The lack of response to reports indicates how seriously e bay take these issues - not at all in our experience.
Suspiciously Cheap cars on Ebay - Dalglish
it is not just ebay.

try autotrader on the left. search for "2005 BMW X5 3.0i Sport Exclusive Edition 5dr Auto Estate" and see what a bargain that is with just 15,000 miles.

i have drawn the attention of autotrader to numerous such listings but all they do is refer you to read:
www.autotrader.co.uk/CARS/buying/fraudulent_vehicl...p
www.autotrader.co.uk/CARS/buying/false_escrow_serv...p