Does Mk3 1.6 Golf have a pierberg carb? - Steptoe
Ever since Mrs S's MR2 got rear ended she has been hankering after another convertible, so having a little time in hand on the way home today we stopped for a impluse look round the local cheap & cheerful cars sales outlet ( ex petrol station; 20/30 cars; £500 to £5k )

1995 Mk3 convertible, 84k, 1.6 ( I think ) petrol. but it looks like it has a squashed carburettor between the air filter and the inlet manifold; is this the dreaded Pierberg contraption that I read so much about on the forum, or is it a harmless form of fuel injection?

We have made no commitment, I dragged her away in order to consult the C by C section. No history, so probably wants a cambelt & water pump, is the screen price of £2.4 too high assuming I could knock off £200/£300 to allow for the cambelt change and sundry brake work?
----------------------------------------------

One mans junk is another mans treasure
Does Mk3 1.6 Golf have a pierberg carb? - Xileno {P}
No carb of any description on a MK3. All injection.

Watch for rust underneath, they can get surprising bad for a VW.
Does Mk3 1.6 Golf have a pierberg carb? - Peter D
They are single point monotronic Bosch throttle bodies. Very reliable . A 95 Golf requires replacement rear brake cylinders front to rear brake lines and all new flexibles. Rear shock are probably weeping and rear beam bushes may require replacing. The car is over priced due to the soft top. Regards Peter
Does Mk3 1.6 Golf have a pierberg carb? - Steptoe
Very many thanks for that info. In my cursory look around the Golf I did notice that the front discs were a little worn so I would guess that the other brake faults mentioned by Peter are also present.

Having now sorted this type of problem on the Hyundai I am disinclined to start all over again, maybe the current warm spell will come to an end, quashing these notions of another rag top.
----------------------------------------------

One mans junk is another mans treasure
Does Mk3 1.6 Golf have a pierberg carb? - the original horse
They are single point monotronic Bosch throttle bodies. Very reliable .
A 95 Golf requires replacement rear brake cylinders front to rear
brake lines and all new flexibles. Rear shock are probably weeping
and rear beam bushes may require replacing. The car is over
priced due to the soft top. Regards Peter

please educate me as to why it would need new cylinders and pipes and flexis ?? is there a recall?
Does Mk3 1.6 Golf have a pierberg carb? - Peter D
Experience. If these items have not been changed already then it is highly likely that they are due. The two flexi's round the rear beam wil be the first to fail an MOT and if you take a rear drum off and list the seals you will probable find fluid in there. This build used steel pipes and fittings and shanging a cylinder usually means changing the pipework down to the flexi so it it easier to do the whole thing and be done. Regards Peter