xsara picasso 2.0HDi vs 1.6Hdi - hcm
I'm looking at getting a diesel 04 xsara picasso. In my price range there are both the 2.0 and the newer 1.6HDi.

At first glance the 1.6 seems the better choice as it has more bhp and better mpg. However HJ mentions a few problems with the engine: " 'Pressure gateway failure' has caused turbo failure on early 1.6 16v HDIs. Needs new valve and new turbo"

How much of a problem is this? What period is classed as early? Better to stick with the 2.0HDi?

Thanks for any suggestions.

xsara picasso 2.0HDi vs 1.6Hdi - Armitage Shanks {p}
I have run a 1.6 110bhp Hdi for 3 years with no engine problems and I see 55mpg. I was talking at work to a man with a 2 litre one and he was getting rid of it as he wasn't impressed with 45 mpg.
xsara picasso 2.0HDi vs 1.6Hdi - Brian Tryzers
>...I see 55mpg. I was talking at work to a man with a 2 litre one and he was getting rid of it as he wasn't impressed with 45 mpg.

I take it he's not an accountant. The difference between 45mpg and 55mpg is about 1.6p a mile - £200 over a 12,000-mile year - at today's prices, so he'll have to do a cracking deal on a replacement car to recoup the cost of changing early.
xsara picasso 2.0HDi vs 1.6Hdi - oldtoffee
I had a 2.0HDi and once it was run in, I had a Powerbox fitted to take it to 110 bhp which made a huge difference to the performance and driveability. I never got more than 45mpg out of it with or without the Powerbox and on long motorway runs it would often dip below 40mpg - aerodynamics not its strong point I guess. I haven't checked prices out but when I got rid of mine the 1.6HDi was just coming in and the deals on new 2.0 HDis were even by Citroen's standards crazy. If the deals are still on offer they would push me towards the 2.0 because as WillDeBeest says the extra £200 a year saving on fuel could be dwarfed by the cash saving.

xsara picasso 2.0HDi vs 1.6Hdi - RichardW
Interestingly, I pulled the power & torqu curves for these engines from Superchips site the other day - my Dad is considering buying a C4 1.6 HDi. The engines have very different characters - I'm sure HJ has said the 1.6 is much more petrol like than previous diesel engines - and looking at the curves I can believe this. The power / torque builds steadily from low revs to a lower peak, and the top end drop off is not so sharp, with the engine revving out to almost 5.5k. This compares to the old 2.0 which has a much steeper torque / power curve, with the (much higher) torque falling off after peak, and the power falling away sharply above 4.5k rpm. Personally I'd go for the old 2.0 unit for the ability to drive around at 2k rpm on a wall of torque - but if you're more used to, and like, revving modern multi-valve engines, then the 1.6 is probably better. Horses for courses - drive them back to back to see which you prefer!
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....