audi a6 avant 2.0 tdi - opinions? - ablandy
its coming up to car change time and i have been seeing some good deals on leasing these (thought i would try leasing this time). They look good, i need/want an estate and a diesel will be a must this time. I was wondering if anyone has experience of these cars. I am a bit concerned it will be a bit slow after my 2.4 accord.

I will be test driving at some point, but interested in real life opinions. I always enjoy a change of car and have been driving a transit all week and really enjoyed it, so a short test drive may not give me the best impression of living with a car!

As an aside, im going to be looking closely at the new mondeo estate, reviews seem to be coming out next week (embargoed til the 24th?)
audi a6 avant 2.0 tdi - opinions? - Avant
I'd say that the 2.0 TDI, although a great engine, won't be a ball of fire hauling an A6 Avant around.

Maybe go for a Passat estate or even an Skoda Octavia estate? Or can you run to a larger--engined Audi (a 2.7), or accept less room and try an A4 Avant?

Alternatives are the new Mondeo, as you say, or the Accord Tourer 2.2 diesel - the latter probably not being a real 'change' for you.
audi a6 avant 2.0 tdi - opinions? - cheddar
I'd say that the 2.0 TDI although a great engine won't
be a ball of fire >>

The A6 has grown on me, particularly the estate, a great looking car though I dont think the 2.0TDi is a truly great engine, IME the A3, A4 and Golf with this engine are less refined than my Mondeo. That being said I would not rule out a car with this engine and the A3 Sportback is nice, also the A6 probably insulates the cabin from the engine better.
i have read that the 2.0 tdi in the a6 is not as refined as it could be and i know the other diesels in the range are superior, but the difference in price is pretty huge. In fact, the prices to lease the 2.0 a6 is actually cheaper than the passat and the a4.

im not sure if the speed is an issue really, because i do seem to have slowed down quite a bit recently - our first baby coming in 11 weeks might have something to do with it. Im more interested in mid range pull and acceleration (for motorways junctions).

I need a fair bit of space, before i factor in all the baby kit and really liked the accord tourer for that. And electric tailgate is very handy at times (although a bit slow)

audi a6 avant 2.0 tdi - opinions? - Happy Blue!
There are some amazing lease deals on A6 2.0 TDi's. A friend has an automatic saloon for just £269pcm! He seems very happy with it.
audi a6 avant 2.0 tdi - opinions? - reevsie
as a matter of interest, what deals have you spotted?
audi a6 avant 2.0 tdi - opinions? - cjehuk
It's not good as a manual, far too underpowered. If you have it as the Multitronic that masks some of the lack of power quite effectively because of how a CVT transmission works. I personally would take a 2.0T FSI Petrol over the 2.0TDI diesel in that car having driven all of the range.
audi a6 avant 2.0 tdi - opinions? - daveyjp
If you do plump for one don't be a saddo like an A6 Avant owner I saw last week who had removed the '2.0' badges from the rear leaving the TDi badge. He must have been ashamed of not having the 2.7 or 3.0 lump under the bonnet!

I see Audi have been canny and aren't offering a 2.0 TDi 170 in the A6 as this steps on the toes of the 2.7, but having owned a A3 2.0TDi 140 it is more than capable.

I considered one as an alternative to the A3, but the A3 was more than adequate for my baby daughter's essential kit.
audi a6 avant 2.0 tdi - opinions? - cjehuk
I see Audi have been canny and aren't offering a 2.0
TDi 170 in the A6 as this steps on the toes
of the 2.7 but having owned a A3 2.0TDi 140 it
is more than capable.
I considered one as an alternative to the A3 but the
A3 was more than adequate for my baby daughter's essential kit.

The main reason for this is probably down to Turbo Lag. The TDI170 has much more significant lag than the TDI140, and while it's not noticeable too much in an A3, when you try and drive an A4 TDI170 Avant with 4 adults in it then you have a real issue on your hands, nothing below 2200rpm is enough to move the car and then it takes off like a scalded cat, it's just not as good as the 140 in that circumstance. Plus even in the A4 where you can get both the 2.7V6 and the TDI170, you'd take the V6 because it's so much smoother and more linear as well as much quieter.
audi a6 avant 2.0 tdi - opinions? - Brian Tryzers
> If you do plump for one don't be a saddo like an A6 Avant owner I saw last week who had removed the '2.0' badges from the rear leaving the TDi badge.

No, remove the badges altogether - it's no-one else's business what engine you have.

I've driven a version of the 2.0 140 engine in a Mitsubishi Grandis, which must be a similar weight to an A6 Avant. I've posted detailed impressions elsewhere but on a few key points:
Was it slow? Not particularly
Was it pleasant to drive? No
Would I buy a Grandis with this engine? No
Would I need a lot of convincing that this engine is civilized enough to power an A6?Yes. An awful lot!
audi a6 avant 2.0 tdi - opinions? - Martin Sweeney
I'm on my 3rd new shape A6. None of them have missed a beat, and there is little to complain about in the cabin or the handling. Very comfortable car to cover huge miles in and very decent to drive. The dealers are patchy; when good they're very good but my wife has previously had some bad experiences. Overall this seems to have improved over the last few years. I test drove the 2,0tdi a couple of years back and didn't find it underpowered. I'm pretty sure that the A6 is lighter and faster than the Grandis, no heavier than a Mondeo or Touran and whilst certainly not the most refined, the 2.0tdi certainly doesn't lack grunt, so you're not going to burn off scoobies or haul a 747 but apart from that the performance is what you'd expect from a 4 door family saloon with a 2litre TD. My wife has the 2.0tdi in the A4 and neither of us noticed any appreciable difference in performance, except that the A6 handled much better, was easier to throw around and was generally quieter and more refined. IIRC the economy is very good. It all depends on your needs and expectations and a test drive will sort that. Beware that on a cold startup and idle it's not particularly refined but once on the move the whole package is very impressive.

Useful thread below.
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=32905&...f
audi a6 avant 2.0 tdi - opinions? - Roly93
The A6 Avant 2.0 TDI is a great car, in fact I nearly bought one instead of the A4 Avant 2.0 TDI which I did get. The only things that put me off the A6 Avant were the largeness of the car in tight car parks etc and also worries as to whether the 2.0 TDi was man enough for the A6 Avant, and I didn't want to go up to the larger diesel.
It was a tough decision but I reluctantly made it.
thanks for all the replies, soory i havent responded.

a mixed bag, but it would seem i need to test one and see if what i think. I know its not fast, but my life and requirements are changing.

As for cost, well ive seen them for about 290 per month on a 24 month contract. thats cheaper than A4s and vw passats! Cheaper if you want a saloon. There is a huge jump between the 2.0 and the 2.7 (about £130 per month), so im not going down that route.

One of the leasing companies i have been lookng at has prices for the new mondeo estate and they look good value too (£235 per month for the 2.0 tdci zetec estate)- although i always said i would never have a ford, but i think the new one looks great. I am eagerly awaiting the reviews. I think i saw HJ will have his out tomorrow.

Thanks for the help and i will have more questions specifically about leasing soon.
audi a6 avant 2.0 tdi - opinions? - boxsterboy
The A6 Avant is a lovely shape,but the thng that put me off it (with 3 small kids) was the high side window line/low rear seats which meant the kids couldn't see out the side. A case of form before function in that respect. I bought an E-class estate instead whcih the kids loved - especially the rear-facing boot seats - until I sold it!