MOT test conundrum - BazzaBear {P}
This has come up because of the revelation in another thread that you can check your cars MOT history on the VOSA website. It's not at all important, but I just can't get my head around it.

I bought my car in February. At that time it had a private plate, so was re-registered by the dealers.
The MOT history lists the old and new registrations, stating that it was transferred on 16/02/07.
All fine so far. But the paper MOT certificate (which agrees with the web in every detail) was issued on July 10th 2006, and has the current reg on it. It also has mention of the transfer in February.
So how does that work? To take account of the reg change did they have to contact the garage who performed the MOT back in July and get them to re-issue a certificate with the new reg?
MOT test conundrum - Pugugly {P}
"So how does that work" ?

Perfectly - that's what is supposed to happen. The car will have two DVLA files one with the private plate and one with an age related plate that may not ever have appeared on the car. It should run with an electronic MoT from that date which makes it even easier for VoSA and DVLA to track it.

PU
MOT test conundrum - local yokel
My guess is that VOSA issue a replacement MoT cert (or ask the tester to do so) on a reg change, or the car would not have a valid MoT after the change had taken place. The date of issue has to be the date of the last test, clearly.
MOT test conundrum - bell boy
Im a bit confused but normally the mot certificate was stamped at the time of transfer by the licensing authority with the new registration written in the stamped box.This was when the mot was the old written type
Not sure with new system but i guess you have a hicupp in the system
As said look at the mot on the old registration number and get in touch with vosa

Good luck they have an 0870 number charging you as they apologise while they ignore the phones while they have their feet up :-(
MOT test conundrum - BazzaBear {P}
My guess is that VOSA issue a replacement MoT cert (or
ask the tester to do so) on a reg change or
the car would not have a valid MoT after the change
had taken place.

So on the change of plate a new certificate was automatically provided? I wonder if it came straight from headquarters or from the garage in question.

Actually, that's a silly question. It clearly came from the garage, otherwise it would never have been received so quickly. (The MOT certificate was already with the car when I first went to view it a day after the dealer had taken ownership. The V5 arrived 6 weeks after I bought the car, and only 1 day before the tax was due!
MOT test conundrum - rebel
Changes to vehicle details such as this can only be done by VOSA.
Once VOSA have made the necessary changes in the database, then any VTS can print out the revised VT20 pass certificate.

DC
MOT test conundrum - Pugugly {P}
It's from VOSA - imagine the mess if the car had been tested in Land's End and part exed in John O' Groats.....