Steering Rack-02 Fiesta - midlifecrisis
Just been informed that the wifes new shape Fiesta's steering rack seals are leaking, which means a new rack (apparently!). Car's only done 42000m. Quoted 'around' £200 for a refurb rack with £250-300 to fit.
All very scary, particularly as it's got an mot coming up in a few weeks (plan was to sell it and buy something bigger) Is the quote accurate and is it a definite fail (it's only seeping slightly)

Steering Rack-02 Fiesta - injection doc
Quite common i'm afraid & have changed them at much lower milages so not abnormal. I would of expected around £350 for a rack supplied & fitted including tracking.
On the MOT if the rack is no more than damp it should be an advise but if its wet & dripping out or leaking on a lock to lock test you could expect it to fail.
sometimes the cause of a premature rack failure can be when the powersteering is used ( as we all do ) to turn out from a kerb & an excessive loads gets put on the rack if the wheel is against the kerb as you turn.
Hope this helps
Many thanks..it's getting a 'wipe over' and then in tomorrow afternoon. Fingers crossed!
I put some 'stop leak' in it, which appeared to do the trick! Just went straight through the mot, phew!! (Ford quoted £450 for supply only on a rack)
Steering Rack-02 Fiesta - bell boy
sell/sell/sell.......now then
It'll be px'd as soon as we find a suitable replacement. I'd feel bad selling on, even though it's been faultless up to now.
Steering Rack-02 Fiesta - injection doc
Don't worry about the stop leak, it's just a lubricant with a solvent in it to help swell the seals back up & thats why it stops the leak.