Severn Bridge Toll - How much? - AndyS
Got to travel to Wales next week via the M5/M4. Anyone tell me please how much the toll is now? Is the toll chargeable both ways?
Re: Severn Bridge Toll - How much? - P Mason
When I went two weeks ago the charge for a car was £4.40 -it seems to go up every few weeks, so it may be more by now!
Regards,
P.
Re: Severn Bridge Toll - How much? - Ian Cook
May I correct you, PM? The Severn Bridge toll fee is reviewed annually, and does not go up every few weeks. New fees take effect on 1st Jan.

The current fee of £4.40 is charged on entering Wales - return trip is free.

Ian
Re: Severn Bridge Toll - How much? - Dave Lacey aka Dr Dave
Isn't it funny how they charge you to get into Wales but not to get out of it?

*joke*
Re: Severn Bridge Toll - How much? - Tom Shaw
I wonder what would happen if you said, "Sorry, I don't have any money?"

They could hardly send you back over again, could they?
Re: Severn Bridge Toll - How much? - Ian Cook
Tom Shaw wrote:
>
> I wonder what would happen if you said, "Sorry, I don't have
> any money?"
>
> They could hardly send you back over again, could they?

Yes they could, and that's precisely what they do. If you have no money on the M48 crossing (old Severn Bridge, where the tolls are on the English side) they turn you back. If you have no money on the M4 crossing (new bridge, where the tolls are on the Welsh side) they send you over a small flyover bridge, and back the way you came.

They also don't take credit cards.

Ian
Re: Severn Bridge Toll - How much? - piers
I got let through with no money - had to argue for ages with attendant though. I had very little fuel and no wallet and lived about 10 minutes over the bridge in Wales. Basically I couldn't do the alternative route (no fuel) and was either going to wait for hours in their car park until my parents were home to bring some cash over or send them a cheque. They settled for the latter.

A woman in the car behind started shouting obsenities when I was explaining to the attendant that I had forgotten my wallet when I rushed from the office to do an urgent job in Stroud. He calmly got out of the hut and told the woman the situation and suggested the quickest way to resolve the situation was if she paid for me, and gave me her address so I could forward a check. She shut up very quickly. Then she tried to reverse to go to a different booth but he stopped her - reversing on a motorway isn't allowed! He made her wait for ages to teach her a lesson for being rude!

Piers
Re: Severn Bridge Toll - How much? - Brian
Maybe because they know that once the Welsh have got out they won't want to go back. ;-)
Re: Severn Bridge Toll - How much? - Mark (Brazil)
And they charge to go to Wales, but to go to England is free.

Mostly because nobody would pay to go to England, but Wales, as everybody knows is God's country, and is a desirable place to be.
Re: Severn Bridge Toll - How much? - Dave Best
Hear hear, Mark (Brazil)
Re: Severn Bridge Toll - How much? - Tom Shaw
Quite right, Mark. At only £4.40 to get out of England its a bargain.
Re: Severn Bridge Toll - How much? - Alyn Beattie
Well said Mark

But keep it to yourself there are too many English here already :-)
Re: Severn Bridge Toll - How much? - CM
there may be too many English in Wales but there are even more Welsh in England (along with the Scottish government me have)
Re: Severn Bridge Toll - How much? - Pete W
It depends what you're driving.......

Motorbikes - free
Cars - £4.40 , regardless of towing anything
Vans - £8.80 ( you will NOT get away with a private van being classified as a car, they WILL assist you back to the last junction if you don't have enough cash - happened to my brother in law once although they may just take your details now )
Lorries - £13.20

No credit cards, free for disabled but you must have the disabled person and his / her badge with you in the car.

Cash only but they will also accept US dollars and EUROS. Charges into Wales only. Please don't get in the coin bin or TAG queue if you don't belong there, it's the most frustrating thing to get everyone to reverse out

It's run by a French company !!

If you're going down the M5 from Birmingham direction get off on the M50 (A449) or else at Gloucester / Cheltenham junction and follow the A48 to Chepstow. These are rather more scenic but respect the locals on the A48.

Cheers,

Pete
Re: Severn Bridge Toll - How much? - Dave
And if you haven't got the full price they wave you through...

I know 'cos I ignored the 'no credit cards' signs assuming that nowhere could be quite that backwards... but they were...
Re: Severn Bridge Toll - How much? - Pete W
Wales - lovely, lovely, lovely.
Re: Severn Bridge Toll - How much? - Union Jack
Piers

It was the least they could do for *you* - neither bridge would exist if it were not for "piers"!

Jack
Re: Severn Bridge Toll - How much? - piers
I was quite chuffed to discover there is a 'National Piers Society'.
This soon faded when I checked their website though - www.piers.co.uk

Piers
Re: Severn Bridge Toll - How much? - Idris Francis
When I first went, on the old one, two shillings and six pence (12.5 np)

Probably gone up by now.,..................b...................s

Idris
Re: Severn Bridge Toll - How much? - Guy Lacey aka Golf Geek
They say no credit cards because it would take ages and some snotty student in his battered old fiesta would try to pay by cheque.
Re: Severn Bridge Toll - How much? - Lee H
What if you try the old cinema trick - reverse through the toll booth, giving the impression of leaving Wales (free) but actually entering (saving £4.4quid).