Renault third year warranty question - DP
Going to look at a Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi tomorrow (private sale), and just wondering how the Renault warranty works in its third year.

The car we're looking at is a 54 plate (October reg) with 35k on the clock and a full Renault service history. Therefore, I assume it is still under manufacturer's warranty until October. However, I have read that the third year is a dealer warranty, and only the first two years are provided by the manufacturer.

This is a UK sourced car, so the third year will apply, but does this mean its with the selling dealer only (which, as the car is nearly 100 miles away is likely to be hugely inconvenient) or will it be honoured by any Renault dealer? Does anyone know how it works?

Incidentally, this is a 2004/54 1.9dCi Dynamique Grand (7 seat) in the Ottoman Blue (our fave) with the twin panoramic electric sunroof and CD changer (both options), 35k and FRSH, is said to be "immaculate" and is up for £8995 "with a bit of room for movement". Sound like a good deal?

Cheers
DP
Renault third year warranty question - bell boy
thats a netto bag of cash
ring the dealer before you buy it check its history
obviously check the seller as much as the car
£9 grand is a lot of money to spend in someones kitchen
good luck
Thanks bell boy - good advice.

Had a long chat with the sellers over the phone, and they seem genuine enough. They bought it new from the local Renault dealer, who have also serviced it from new. They have invoices for everything as well as stamps, and are only selling the car because they're emigrating next month. The dealer basically offered them carp money for it because they weren't buying another car.

I mentioned I would be checking the car with HPI and confirming the service history and the guy was completely unfazed by it.

Cheers
DP.

i might be over egging everything but when i used to buy cars from people at their doors they were pretty desperate people
and dammed good liers
make sure its not rented property
make sure the paperwork is genuine
make sure the car is not a ringer as a hpi will only tell you in these circumstances what you tell it

£9000 is a big wage for some scumbag to make less £50 for the key getter and £75 for charlie the log book maker

seriously

by all means look view leave £100 deposit, but double check everything before he gets the netto bag.
I'm not arguing with any of that. We're not going to be in a position to pick it up 'til next weekend anyway, so the deposit will be all they get tomorrow. Assuming the car is any good of course. Again, I said this on the phone, and there was no drama.

Any of these would stop me going ahead:

If the name of the seller, and the address I see the car at doesn't match the paperwork.
If V5 and service history are not present.
If the house I go to tomorrow does not look like a currently lived in family home.
If the paperwork looks at all suspect, or doesn't match the car 100%
If the numbers or VIN plates on the car look fake or tampered with
If the dealer who they say has serviced it can't confirm the history.
If the HPI check doesn't come back 100% clear.
If there's any sign of accident damage, mismatched paint, or wonky panel gaps.
If the car itself is otherwise not exactly what we want (we're ready, but in no major hurry)
If there is any insistence on cash payment over bankers draft or electronic transfer (the latter two being traceable).

Given no concerns from any of the above, I would be inclined to believe car and seller are genuine.

I also have some sympathy with the "carp offer from the dealer" argument, as it's happened to us with a (genuine, mint, straight, FMSH'd) MX-5 that we wanted rid of without buying another car to replace it. We sold it privately for a full grand more than the supplying dealer offered to take it off our hands for. I'd have gone through the private sale process for half that out of principle!

Cheers
DP
Renault third year warranty question - Altea Ego
The third year of warranty is dealer backed, but not restricted to the supplying dealer.

Check all the interior trim carefully, the third year of warranty is pretty short on what it covers and they always try and fob off broken trim or interior bits as "wear and tear"
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
The third year of warranty is dealer backed, but not restricted
to the supplying dealer.
Check all the interior trim carefully, the third year of warranty
is pretty short on what it covers and they always try
and fob off broken trim or interior bits as "wear and
tear"

Thanks TVM. I'm not too worried about trim and the like as long as it covers major mechanical or electrical woes (i.e. stuff that costs ££££'s to put right).

We'll take out cover with Warranty Direct anyway (been offered a good deal on their top end product), but it would be nice to be able to defer it until October.

As a general note, according to DVLA, it's even got tax on it until the end of Jan 2008. I will also be getting the serial number off the log book tomorrow, and running that through the DVLA issue check for additional peace of mind.

They really don't seem fazed by my vows to run all these checks, which means they're either dodgy and supremely confident, or they're genuine. We shall see.

I'll let you know how we get on.

Cheers
DP
Renault third year warranty question - BobbyG
DP, I have a similar Scenic through not the Grand one. Some things for you to look at when you test drive it:

1. Are all bulbs working. Headlights especially are a pain in the neck to change.
2. You mentioned it has a Panoramic sunroof, mines creaks like nothing on earth in extremes of heat / cold. Make sure it fully works.. Open the sunroof, open all 4 electric windows, get out the car and press the button twice and they should all shut themselves automatically.
3. When driving, listen out for a creak just at the top of the drivers door. As far as I am aware, this cannot be cured - if it annoys you during the drive, it will annoy you during your whole period of ownership!
4. Try out the aircon - put it to minimum temp and max blower and check that you get cold air out it.
5. Check seats for wear and tear, the rear seats are particularly vulnerable to "puncture / rips" due to the type of material. Also check the rooflining as this can be damaged if taking big loads eg. bike handlebars.
6. There is not much room under the bonnet to check anything, this should be covered under warranty anyway. I recently had my car serviced at a different dealer from normal, but I saw from the computer print it listed everything that had been done to my car so don't be afraid to ask the dealer for a print out.
7. Check tyres for wheel alignment as this is often an issue as some fast-fit type places will align it to zero when in actual fact it should be (I think) 2 degrees.

Think thats all that springs to mind, any questions you have after driving it let me know!
brilliant bg..........thats why i like this site proper real help
Seconded!! All duly noted and will be checked out thoroughly. Fantastic information.

Cheers
DP
Well, just got back and we've left a deposit. A really nice example. A couple of minor marks aside, it' genuinely is immaculate. Test drive revealed no unpleasant surprises with the engine feeling incredibly smooth and responsive (having just driven up there in the Mondeo). Brakes and gearbox feel good, suspension is quiet and there's no wind noise up to the 65 or so I went on the test drive. A minor creak from the dash over really sharp bumps but otherwise tight. No sign of noise from roof or doors.

All the electrics work, including the full closure system (very cool, that!) and the trim is in good condition. It has the "upgrade" full hands free Renault card and there are two working cards. Needs a pair of front tyres, but that was about the only fault I could find..

Has needed remedial work on 3 occasions all done under warranty. One was a sticking sunroof, one a broken doorhandle, and the third was the leccy handbrake not engaging properly. Dealer reports for all of these are with the rest of the history.

Still under warranty until October, and the service history condsists of both stamps and invoices (complete with credit card receipts still stapled to them). They had the second service done early at 24k as they wanted it done annually rather than every 2yrs or18k recommended which sounds ludicrous to me as well.

HPI has come back clear and the v5c issue date matches DVLA records
Agreed on £8750. Pick it up Saturday.

Cheers
DP
Renault third year warranty question - aahbarnes
Well our Scenic has broken rear sunblinds, worn leather, flaking paint on dash - all apparently only covered by the 1 year warranty on interior trim.

No more Renaults for us - a pity as it is a great design and a great 1.9Dci engine.
That's not good. The stingy 12 month warranty on trim says it all I suppose. I thought the Scenic was a big step up for a Renault in terms of trim, but obviously it's still got some way to go. All I can say is that apart from the silver flake having all but disappeared off the gearknob (which happened to my old company Megane inside of 10,000 miles), and one dash creak over major bumps, the interior seems to have survived 2.5 yrs of family abuse very well.

I think dodgy trim quality has always been a fact of life with French cars though. You have to accept that the materials budget for the entire interior was about 20p, and bits will fall off it. This is offset (as you say) by truly superb diesel engines, cracking comfort and refinement, and a certain design flair that you won't find on a German car (which themselves are not always as reliable or well made as they are made out to be).

My biggest concern on this car is electrical reliability. As long as the leccies don't explode and the cr fuel system doesn't ingest itself, I can live with everything else. I think.... :-)

Cheers
DP
Renault third year warranty question - Altea Ego
Based on heresay and anecdotal evidnece your biggest source of agro on the renault DCi engine is the EGR valve - not it seeems purely a renault issue. If you can keep this working well it seems your engine will have pretty good longevity.

So I would

1/ use it hard regularly italian tuning it
2/ use good quality diesel with additves

and probably consider the egr as a consumable item (like a cam belt) and change it at 50k miles.

Ignore the renault servicing schedule if it says 18k miles for an oil change - . 12 k max.

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >