mot re test costs - angel1980
I took my 206 in today for its MOT, It a 01 plate,pretty good nick.
Anyway they failed it on the following:
-Exhaust emissions lambda reading after 2nd fast idle outside specified limits
-centre exhaust system has a major leak of exhaust gases
(this is causing the first one apparently)
-offside front track rod end ball joint has excessive play

I got quotes from them and from another local garage and it turned out that the other local garage was £70.00 cheaper then they were!, quite a difference in price for exactly the same job!

I have booked the car in for a retest but they are trying to charge me a retest fee of 20.00 because I took it to another garage to get the reapirs done,can they do this?

Just seems very steep for a retest.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Many Thanks!
mot re test costs - bell boy
it will tell you on your fail sheet if you have to pay
as its a dangerous article (re track rod end) i would expect that you would have to pay as you took the veehacul away
mot re test costs - LHM
I think the 'official' line is that a re-test fee is payable if the car is taken away from the testing station, though many places will waive this - in the same way that they choose not to charge the full going rate for the test in the first place.
mot re test costs - Cliff Pope
Things are not as they were in the good old days. Only a couple of years ago if I took my car back having fixed a couple of things (eg track rod end, leaking shock absorber) the tester just glanced at the new items, and then wrote out a certificate for no charge. Now I think they are meant to do an entire retest, so understandably are less willing to absorb the cost.
A month ago one of my cars failed, but then passed, because of a loose steering clamp bolt. The tester was a friend, so he just tightened it up and went on with the test. But he still formally issued a fail document, noting the fault, and then minutes later a pass certificate.
I was told the reason was to maintain his credibility as a responsible tester. If he passed too many cars first go VOSA would have got suspicious.

You were lucky only to be charged £20 instead of the full fee.
mot re test costs - bathtub tom
It's all printed quite clearly on the fail certificate.
I recently had a fail on a wheel bearing, cost of bearing - twelve quid, re-test fee - fifteen quid!
mot re test costs - Dwight Van Driver
The Motor Vehicles (Tests) (Amendment) (No. 2) Regulations 2007

W.e.f: 7th May 2007.

Under the new paragraph (3), the re-examination of a vehicle which has failed its MOT test can be undertaken without a charge being made if it remains for repairs at the vehicle testing station at which it failed its MOT test, and so long as the re-examination is carried out before the expiration of 10 working days starting from the day after the day of the original examination and there has been no change to the authorised examiner at the vehicle testing station between the original examination and the re-examination.

New paragraph (3ZA) applies where vehicles do not remain at the vehicle testing station or where examinations do not relate to one or more of the matters set out in paragraph (3A). If the vehicle is returned to the same testing station so that the re-examination can be carried out before the expiration of 10 working days starting from the day after the day of the original examination and there has been no change to the authorised examiner at the vehicle testing station between the original examination and the re-examination the chargeable fee will be a maximum of one-half of the full fee.

dvd
mot re test costs - Dalglish
cliff pope said ".... You were lucky only to be charged £20 instead of the full fee. .."

well actually, for the major repair items involved, they can charge a maximum of only half the full fee, provided the car is taken back within 10 days.

if it was minor items, and you take it back within one day, then there is no fee.

see MOT Test Fees and Appeals Poster (VT9A)
www.vosa.gov.uk/vosacorp/publications/specialnotic...m

mot re test costs - angel1980
Thanks everyone for putting that straight for me, much appreciated!