"What should I buy" once again... - mport
Thanks for all advice on previous post about stylish reliable comfortable estate under £20k. Setting up test drives of several options - including the Skoda Octavia, I think I can finally see myself getting over the badge thing.

Am now having a wobble about whether buying new is throwing money away. Before I take the plunge I want to consider what I could get second-hand for less money (say around £15k) that will still fit my needs: accomodate two adults and two young children in comfort with plenty of space for family luggage etc, but not a serious load-lugger and not too big. Diesel automatic. Something thats enjoyable to drive and I can feel proud of. And will last 5-years stress-free.

Suggestions? And do you think used is a better way to go than new?
"What should I buy" once again... - daveyjp
Buying new/new enough to last 5 years stress free is throwing money away - but it's your money and you are only here once so enjoy it.

Whether to buy new depends on the car. I've just ordered my second new Audi A3 because second hand ex demos with less than 10,000 miles cost as much, if not more than a new one and matching options to requirements is difficult.

My wife's Toyota Aygo was new because once again ex demos were silly money.

I'd never buy a brand new Ford - my last one at 6 months old had lost 33% of initial cost.

Do the homework and compare brand new with ex demo and see what you will actually save.

"What should I buy" once again... - midlifecrisis
Or work hard getting a good discount. I got close to £7000 off my new car, which worked out at £2500 less than one year old examples on their forecourt.
"What should I buy" once again... - local yokel
If I had your budget I'd be looking seriously at the Avensis - not a pure auto, as it's a sequential semi-auto, but you could justify the cost of buying it new with the strong residuals, and the longevity. I saw a 98 Avensis recently, well-cared for, that was superb in every way, despite having 130k on it.
"What should I buy" once again... - peterb
What about a one-two year old Signum? I don't know if there's a diesel auto but it otherwise seems to fit the bill.

Another possiblity could be a lightly used Accord.

Finally, I have a soft spot for the Volvo S40/V50 and I've seen some tempting second hand prices. However it's a fairly small car

I would say that £15-20k is a difficult amount to spend on a **brand new** family car. Most new cars at that price are either too small for you or are heavy depreciators.
"What should I buy" once again... - prm72
You can get the signum in 1.9 and 3.0 diesel auto, nice car.
"What should I buy" once again... - Nsar
Not sure what £15k buys you in the BMW 3 series estates but might worth a look.
I'd guess you get quite a lot of Volvo for that money
If you're not wedded to diesel then 15K buys a lot of Legacy Tourer

Or a SAAB 9-3 - there's one on Autotrader with 8k miles for £15k the link won't copy across for somereason but easily searched
"What should I buy" once again... - machika
If I had your budget I'd be looking seriously at the
Avensis - not a pure auto, as it's a sequential semi-auto,
but you could justify the cost of buying it new with
the strong residuals, and the longevity. I saw a 98
Avensis recently, well-cared for, that was superb in every way, despite
having 130k on it.

Not a diesel auto though, I think, which is what was specified.
"What should I buy" once again... - Avant
I go for new cars for peace of mind - I do 20,000 miles a year and as some of my job involves lecturing in different parts of the country, the car needs to be reliable. Diesel automatic suits me too, which unfortunately knocks out Toyota unless I accept a manual or go for the Prius (near-diesel economy and better to drive than some people make out).

I think your choice is between a new Octavia 2.0 TDI with DSG (can't see that the Passat offers very much over the Octavia) ot a used BMW 320d or Audi A4 Avant TDI. The Audi has the CVT automatic which is less performance-sapping than the BMW's conventional auto.

Personally I'd go (and probably will next time) for the Skoda - for you, if you want to keep it for 5 years, 3 of them will be under warranty. The used BMW or Audi would be 6 or 7 years old at the end of your time with it, and there could be some big bills. Depends on your annual mileage.
"What should I buy" once again... - barney100
I would look at the big volvos (used) I had two and they are very useful for loads or as 7 seaters. They outlive the owner if needbe with tlc. You can have good performance too if that is your thing and of course you get Volvo safety.
"What should I buy" once again... - Pat L
You may be able to get a brand new Passat 2.0TDi estate with DSG for <20k through a broker. I have to admit I didn't look at the Octavia but I'm pleased with my Passat saloon. I also considered the Volvo estate but when I discovered it was based on a Focus floorpan i didn't think it was big enough. I can certainly reiterate the advice re ex-demos - buy new at a good price and benefit from the 3yr warranty and better residuals.

Try drivethedeal.com - I got a great deal and excellent service at no risk.

Good luck, and try to enjoy the process!
Pat
"What should I buy" once again... - mport
Thanks again for all advice... Im keeping various options open but the Octavia seems to beckon...

One last thought: looking for Skodas on DriveTheDeal I see theyre offering over 4k off Mercedes C-class estate automatics, (maybe because the new model is due in a few months?), just about bringing them into my budget. This looks like a pretty good deal doesnt it?
"What should I buy" once again... - Avant
Yes, but go and have a test drive from a dealer - the lower-powered ones could be sluggish and not nearly as good to drive as an Octavia TDI.