Buying Alfa GTV 3.0V6 - Maby66
Seriously considering a purchase of the above in the next couple of weeks. Have read the HJ tips, very handy, but would appreciate input from the sages of the backroom (alfaowner forum is next, but has a lot less traffic)
Spending circa 12k, which will get me I think a late phase1 early phase2 without 6speed box
mileages I have seen at this are approx 40k on year 99 - now I know that this is a period when many manufacturers put a major service in - what should I be looking for or be aware of?
many thanks - tales of horror not required - I'm too far gone for that...
Re: Buying Alfa GTV 3.0V6 - Trevor Potter
Quote from J D Power user survey (on "T" plate Alfa GTV)

"Owners frustration with Alfa dealers is matched only by their ire at poor build quality, inside and out. Faulty brakes, suspension, hi-fi, aircon and big bills annoy too. It finishes a woeful 180th out of 182"

OOps! sorry!! "tales of horror not required"
Re: Buying Alfa GTV 3.0V6 - Maby66
Hi Trevor
Thanks for pointing out what I know already ;-)
This will not be my only car, it will be for me to get some pleasure from, and there is always a cost to pleasure......
Re: Buying Alfa GTV 3.0V6 - Ian Cook
Maby66 wrote:
> what should I be looking for or be aware of?
> many thanks - tales of horror not required - I'm too far gone
> for that...

You may not want tales of horror but for heaven's sake watch out for the infamous rear suspension wear problem. This can cost you dearly to rectify if it's not caught in time. Tell tale signs are rattling from the rear and is caused by the rubber bushes wearing to the point where the alloy suspension arms start to hit metal to metal - expensive strip-down and welding job then needed.

...but they are a fabulous car to drive, just be aware of depreciation on alfas, and don't pay too much for it.

Ian
Re: Buying Alfa GTV 3.0V6 - Phil Ireland
Masochism never appealed to me but it takes all sorts to make a world. Just hope for Maby sake the bill not too high.
:-)
Phil I.
Re: Buying Alfa GTV 3.0V6 - Andy Bairsto
Check out the gearbox both up and down at high speed ,syncro wear on second is an achilles heel of all Alfa gearboxes.If you can get a good one they really are fun to drive.Try buy at auction the money you will save will pay for the repairs.
Re: Buying Alfa GTV 3.0V6 - Debbilouise
This was one of the vehicles on my option list, to be considered for my next new car,(but not the 3litre), (THANKS again guys- still looking at the Nissan 200).
British Car Auctions have :-
Blackbushe on Wednesday T reg 10k
Birmingham on Thursday V reg 35k
Measham on Friday T reg 47k
You may save a couple of £££'s if you dare spend this sort of dosh at auction! :-)
DLxx