Nissan Note Automatic - Hoseman
In last Saturdays D T . HJ referred to the Nissan Note was fitted with a Renault 4 speed Auto gearbox and said that it may give problems after three to four years use.
How many miles would one expect to cover in this time and what sort of problems would be expected?
I have only covered 2K milesand am very pleased with the vehicle but reading this comment gives me cause for concern.
i would appreciate your comments.
Nissan Note Automatic - RobC
For as long as I can remember their have been numerous comments about Renault autoboxes and how unreliable they are, and yet you see plenty of Renaults on the road.
Are they really that bad, and if so why have they done nothing about their gearbox reliability. Surely by now they can design and build a decent autobox?
Nissan Note Automatic - bell boy
hoseman dont worry just get rid when the warranty is about to run out thats all.
Nissan Note Automatic - Cardew
Didn't read HJ's article.

However in his Car-by-Car Breakdown for the Nissan Note he writes:

1.6 auto has Nissan sourced, not Renault autobox.

So which is correct?

I live in Sunderland and I was talking to a Quality Control Engineer who works at Nissan and he assured me that all Nissan Note Automatic gearboxes come from Japan and the manual gearboxes are Renault.
I hope that this information is of use,
Nissan Note Automatic - geoff1248
We have recently bought a Note 1.4 SE. Having previously owned an ultra reliable 1.4 "R" reg Almera the main dealer confirmed that the engine and gearbox in the Note were the same as was in the Almera. Did the old Almera have a Renault box???
Nissan Note Automatic - Altea Ego
the main dealer confirmed that the engine and gearbox in the Note were the same as was in the Almera.

He lied to you.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Nissan Note Automatic - 1066
16k in my note 1.6 auto and so far no problems at all.
Nissan Note Automatic - geoff1248
Are you sure? Main dealers telling lies--surely not. I still think that the 1.4 petrol is a Nissan chain driven cam unit though. Is perhaps the gearbox Renault then?
My source at Nissan told me that the 1.4 and the1.6 petrol , chain driven cam engines are manufactured at Sunderland and manual gearboxes are Renault
Nissan Note Automatic - GregSwain
He lied to you.

He certainly did. N15 Almera had a GA14DE engine, the Note will have the current CR14DE engine. Both 100% Nissan, chain-cam etc, but not the same engine by a long way. GA series had a cast-iron block, whereas all the current range are aluminium.

I know very little about current gearboxes, but when Nissan own Jatco which make arguably the best autoboxes, it'd be absolute stupidity to put a notoriously unreliable Renault box into a Nissan. As for manual boxes, neither Renault nor Nissan have any reliability issues so either would be fine. The giveaway might be the position of reverse gear, which is always tucked down below 5th on a Nissan, but usually up next to first on a Renault.
Nissan Note Automatic - Avant
I had a Laguna V6 automatic which did 100,000 miles without trouble - not the same gearbox obviously but made by Renault.
Nissan Note Automatic - Collos25
"As for manual boxes, neither Renault nor Nissan have any reliability issues so either would be fine. "

I think the six speed box has given cause for concern to some users in both Nissan and Renault vehicles ie disintergrating.
Nissan Note Automatic - GregSwain
I think the six speed box has given cause for concern to some users in
both Nissan and Renault vehicles ie disintergrating.

I doubt that a 1.4 litre Nissan Note would have a 6-speed box. Like I said, I don't know a lot about gearboxes, but I have experience of both Renault and Nissan's 5-speed boxes and never had a problem with either.