BMW 330d - opinions - Lou_O
Looking for a used BMW 330d, anyone had experience of this car?

I'm hoping to find one with 50/60/70K on the clock for something in the region of 12000.

The only snag is that few places have more than one or two in stock - anyone know where to find a good selection?

Thanks,

Lou
BMW 330d - opinions - Jono_99
Lou,

Have had mine since January, and been really pleased with it. Mine had 55k on the clock, and I paid just over 13k for it from cargiant - www.cargiant.co.uk -

At the end of last year, when I was looking, they had about a dozen in most of the time - stock is down to one at present. Am sure there is a cycle to these things, but I know nothing of this (apart from trade-ins at plate change time). Bulk of their stock is ex-lease, so it may be tied to financial years, in which case stock could increase now.....

My view is that their prices were as low as they went - no premium over prices in autotrader or the like. Far lower than Dealers (obviously).

As to the car - has been faultless, really enjoyable to drive and a fantastic engine.

Cheers

Jon
BMW 330d - opinions - oldtoffee
My son had one for nearly 3 years and did 70,000 miles in it. Expensive to buy and service at main dealers, got through rear tyres at quite a rate and price, he had the auto and never did much better than low 30's mpg. Despite getting a good deal on a new one the depreciation was horrendous (far too many extras didn't help) but financials aside, he loved driving it. Having driven it a few times myself I can see why. Outstanding engine and handling, and everything else just very good. If you can find a good one and a good independent to look after it then IMO for the money, it's probably the most desirable sporty exec around. Car Giant have 18 x 320d and 1 x 330d so I can see your problem finding one.

BMW 330d - opinions - Cheeky
Does it have to be the 330d? I just bagged myself a v. nice 330i which is terrific in every respect. I got mine for a good price from www.theinternetcarshowroom.com who are primarily used bmw dealers 3- 5 yrs old and sensible mileage.
BMW 330d - opinions - Pugugly {P}
The only car that ever came close to this was a 530d. Superbly compitant, smooth and economical, 40s is possible on long runs. "My" 330d is still in the family and still looks and feels like a much newer car. Drive and enjoy.
BMW 330d - opinions - Oilyman
I had a 330d Sport from new (2003 facelift model - 6 Speed, 204 Bhp).

Probably the best car I've had so far.

Economical - 39Mpg - I managed 630 miles on a tankful driving through France.

Seriously quick when required.

Ride can be a bit firm sometimes and it would tramline on motorway lanes ruined by lorries.

Only had one problem - dodgy injector - replace under warranty.

Sold it recently with 65k for £11500.

Replacing with another 3 series (van this time).
thanks all, I'll just wait for the cycle to come around and more stock to make it's way on to forecourts and auctions.

BMW 330d - opinions - Chips with everything
As others have said, (please!) consider the E39 530d (Sport).

Mine is a manual on the standard 17's and the ride is superb - really!

Extremely capable of naughty speeds (so I'm told!), yet returns 40 - 42mpg.

Good luck with whatever you decide on though.
BMW 330d - opinions - CJay{P}
Sold it recently with 65k for £11500.

if that was the 3.0 version, and the car was is good condition, the buyer got a fantastic deal. You would pay a lot higher at the auctions.
BMW 330d - opinions - Pugugly {P}
The thinking man's 330d is the old shape 530d, far more understated a prettier car and probably the best car, dynamically and astheticallly ever made for under a 100k. They are less of a "problem" for the ill-informed anti-BMW brigade.
BMW 330d - opinions - boxsterboy
I tried a 330D Sport Saloon for a weekend a few years ago but found the suspension way too hard. Very quick and handled nicely but in the end I bought a Merc C270 CDI
BMW 330d - opinions - chukter
I know the craze is for 18" alloys and sport suspension, but by far the best compomise for ride/handling is to opt for the standard SE spec which has a far more comfortable ride, zero tramlining and standard wheels - so IMHO try the 330d SE before opting for the sport version, but as PU has already mentioned, go for an E39 5 Series for the best BMW made to date.
BMW 330d - opinions - Cheeky
Agree the E39 5 is a great car, have to say though, my current E46 330i has it knocked into a cocked hat for handling, and performance. The old 5 did however, feel more relaxed over bumps, however the standard SE E46 set up on 17" alloys is still very good.

Watch for uneven front tyre wear and check wheels are balanced correctlyetc. BMWs seem to have a very sensitive front end set up. Unless everything is spot on, the can shimmy through the car or steering wheel. 55 - 75mph seems to be the most common window for the shimmy problem...

Good luck with the 330d hunt. Bag yourself a good one!
BMW 330d - opinions - Rumfitt
Just sold mine - very reluctantly - to fund some serious home improvements...

As others have said, a brilliant 'real world' car combining useful economy with a good drive and practicality. Mine was expensive to keep in tiptop nick. It had a MAF go, needed a new propshaft coupling, demanded expensive tyres (I had the SE soec Touring with 18" wheels) and the BMW services can be pricey, even at independents. It had wishbone wear and replacing worn out braking components wasn't cheap either! Oh, and the parking sensors often go.

But, if you buy right and get a good warranty they're a great motor. Standard stereo system tends to be rubbish too. The Sport spec is the one to have but it has a hard ride on large wheels - so the SE spec is a great compromise. Xenons are a useful option and leather is a must!

They really have a classic shape, especially the facelift models which cames with a bit more grunt as well. I had a manual but the auto drives very well. It's a fair bit thirstier so decide whether ultimate economy is important to you.

Keep your eyes peeled on the BMWLand Forum at www.bmwland.co.uk

Good luck!

R
Revisting this thread now that I'm in a position to buy soon.

I was thinking I'd try buying at one of the BCA auction sites, can anyone suggest which sites and which sale days will be most likely to turn up 330d saloons or tourings?

Thanks,

Lou