406 HDI Broken aircon pipe - Neil Mallory
Car 406 HDi 90bhp
year 2001
mileage 170,000
Climate control : Condenser with drier combined

I had an aircon near leak where the pipes join to the condenser. When inspecting the leak I broke the pipe right at the join to the condenser. I suspect this was already weakened hence the reason for the leak ( It broke easily).

It connects the lower join on the compressor, runs along the front of the car to some rubber hosing and then another pipe (low pressure) to the evaporator.
Does anyone know if the section of pipe is replaceable by itself. There doesn't seem to be any obvious connectors to be undone.

I'm hoping that the whole length all the way to the evap does not need replacing.

Also the condenser itself is damaged and the best quote so far has been for £95.

BTW in regards to collecting the refrigerant, there is no pressure from either of the valves, so I think the system is empty.

I intend to hand the job over to someone else but would like some idea of the parts cost. The car is quite old (2001 170,000 miles) so I want to know whether its worth fixing or not (cost being the main factor).

Neil
406 HDI Broken aircon pipe - Dave N
In true french style, they changed the pipe design every 5 minutes, so you really need a trip to the dealer and have a look on their machine. Some have a join in this line.

If you replace the condensor, you may also need the pipe that joins at the bottom and points forward before dropping under the radiator, as these are usually rotted and seized to the bolt and condensor.
This is the pipe that broke.
I loosen the 10mm bolts for both pipes and neither pipe would shift as you said and they are badly corroded.

Could you confirm that these short pipes can be replaced by themselves (ie seperated from their rubber hoses).
I can't see how they would detatch.

Your original post said the pipe from the conpressor, did you mean condensor? If so, then there is a join as the pipe rises on the near side of the radiator. You need a special tool to disconnect it though. In the trade the pipe is only something like £13, so not much from a dealer.
Yes, I did mean condenser.
As you said the pipe comes out of the bottom of the condensor and runs along the bottom of the rad. It then joins a rubber hose. I broke the pipe right at the join on the compressor.
Can the pipe be detached from the rubber hose?. Or do you need to replace the whole assembly of pipes and hoses. It's not clear how the pipe and hose would disconnect.
Yes, that pipe has a join. You have to remove the bumper or fog light to get at it. It's just a push together join with no nuts or bolts, just looks like a bulge in the line. Go to the dealer and you'll see how it is. You'll need a special little tool to get it apart, but the joint may all be corroded and be a bit tight to get off and on again.