Focus LX TDCi - 90/110bhp - y2k+4
Having just agreed to the purchase of the above vehicle under the vendor's instruction that the car is fitted with the 110bhp engine, I came to insure it and it shows up on their systems as the 90bhp version of that engine when using the registration number. I understand that others have had this problem. I have the VIN number, could I ring my local Ford garage and ask him to find out which engine is in the car or would I need something else like an engine serial number? Is it possible the insurers have just got it wrong, and if so, should I argue with them as to the specification?
Focus LX TDCi - 90/110bhp - Quinny100
The insurers will more than likely be wrong - they just buy a database from the DVLA of registration details and match that to the closest match in their much more detailed vehicle specs database. My old Mondeo TDCi 130 was shown on the registration document as a Mondeo Zetec TDCi and always showed up as a 115 on insurance searches. I do wonder what would happen if someone genuinely didn't know and just accepted what came up on the search - my Mum for example has a car avaialble as a 8v 90bhp and a 16v 110bhp, hers being the latter, but she would have no idea of this and if it showed up as the right make and model she'd no doubt be happy.

If you want to check yours, goto etis.ford.com and register (its free). You can then check the details of any Ford from the reg number, which is incredibly handy when you're looking for a used one and want to check if its a facelift or a EuIII or IV engine. You can access the technical manuals via etis too but that bit is chargeable.
Focus LX TDCi - 90/110bhp - Quinny100
Sorry - link should be www.etis.ford.com/
Focus LX TDCi - 90/110bhp - y2k+4
Thanks a lot Quinny100! That's worked perfectly! It's a 110bhp woo!