Audi A6 1.8 T 20Valve - oil spec? - Peter D
Originally in 1998 this was a VW500.00 spec oil requirement but with the more recent 501 and 502 etc etc. What is the most suitable for this engine The car is an R plate 98 SE saloon with 42K on the clock. Regards Peter
Audi A6 1.8 T 20Valve - Peter D
Anyy idead guys. Regards Peter
Audi A6 1.8 T 20Valve - Screwloose
Peter

As this is the one with the sludge-blocked pick-up issues; I'd personally use a flush every change and Valvoline's Durablend MXL 5-40 semi-synth, [502.00/505.00] on a 5-6,000 change cycle.

If you do a lot of miles and really want to stick to the 10K change period; then it's got to be a fully-synth like their Synpower XL 5-30. [502.00/505.00] or their XK-III 5-30 which is 504.00/507.00.

Going to those later, extended-drain, types gets you into too-thin oils for too much money. I'd rather have good clean oil and a new genuine filter every 5K; than pay [and top up] a lot more to wait 'til 10K.
Do you mean there are pick up sludging issues with this engine or with 500.00. I intent to change the oil every 5K or less as my mileage is low. Audi have serviced the car until now so what do you think they have been filling it with. I live in Scotland so high temps are not an issue but cold winter starts will be. Thanks for your advice keep it coming. Regards Peter
Peter

The engine is notorius for it, both here and in the US; where it nearly bankrupted VAG-USA. The oil pick-up in the sump is very fine and will clog-up if the oil isn't changed religiously. The very hot-running turbo cooks poor oil and forms the sludge.

In the states, the change period is 6,000 fixed and it still did it; VAG had to pay out for literally thousands of new engines and turbos.

If your usage is as stated; stick with my first choice, the MXL 5-40. That should give the optimal balance between protection and cost. Ultra-expensive fully-synth long-life would be a waste in that regimen.
Thanks scerwloose. The car although is a 1998 has done 42K and had annual oil changes as the mileage has been 2-3K a year. It has a full Audi history and a full cam belt and poly belt change at 40K due to age not mileage. What is your preferred flushing oil. Regards Peter
Audi A6 1.8 T 20Valve - PeterRed
I've raised a similar point before about experience in the US with the 1.8t engine - my Passat has one. Surprisingly however, I've seen nothing about it happening here in the UK or Europe - despite our far more relaxed servicing regimes. I asked for any experience over here but didn't get any replies. Do you have any evidence to support your claim re similar problems in the UK/Europe?
Peter

There's probably not a lot to choose between the big brands of flush. Personally; I use a Wurth one, but they're probably hard to find.

HannahnTilly

It's not such an epidemic as the US over here, as our oils are generally much better than the low-tech muck that the Americans put in their cars. The European history of smaller, higher-stressed, engines has lead to a greater awareness of the importance of good oil - and has shown up most of the rubbish ones.....

The Americans are suckers for TV advertisers' hype and if told that XXX is a top-quality oil, they believe them and rush out and buy it - when in truth, it's only fit for a 60's V8 "fower dower fowered." Fortunately; only a few fall for the same hype over here. and pay for TV ads and not oil quality.

Sludge still does happen over here; [and not just these engines - talk to a Saab dealer!] My accountant is still smarting from a £3700 engine bill for his '99 A6 1.8T. Change regularly with the correct spec oil, like Peter, and you'll never have a problem.