Nationwide Autos -VW cambelt change? - denty2005
HI - has anyone had any experience of using nationwide autocentres for a cambelt change? During a recent service I had what seemed a quite reasonable quote of £190 -vat (their flat 'book price') for a change on my 98 vw passat tdi. This included the cambelt tensioner, but not the water pump.

Just wondering whether to get them to do it - as opposed the main dealer, and whether the water pump should be changed also, as I've read that failure of this part can cause cambelt failure?

Cheers

Tim
Nationwide Autos -VW cambelt change? - Simon
I don't wish to tar everyone with the same brush but I class these Nationwide Autocentres as a fast fit chain and personally I wouldn't trust one to do a 'complex' job such as a cambelt on any car. In my experience they might be fine for basic repairs, tyres and exhausts etc, but anything more than that is asking for trouble.
Nationwide Autos -VW cambelt change? - KenC
As a comparison for you, recently I asked a local VW Indeependant mechanic ( he used to work for VW Lindvale) for a quote to replace the cam belt, water pump and all sundries necessary with VW parts on my 2003 VW Diesel PD......... the inclusive quote was £284.
remember that includes the water pump AND this guy is always under the bonnet of VW,s
Nationwide Autos -VW cambelt change? - Mungo
Crikey Ken, where is he based, I love him already!
Nationwide Autos -VW cambelt change? - KenC
On the Industrial Estate behind Southend Airport " Peter BREADING"
Nationwide Autos -VW cambelt change? - Mungo
Thanks a lot. Sadly, a bit far from here in Bristol....................................
Nationwide Autos -VW cambelt change? - ifekas
I had the cambelt on my Seat Cordoba TDi changed by a branch of Nationwide Autos a couple of years ago as the price was reasonable. They confirmed that the tensioner would be changed at the same time. The car is still going strong, and the cost was as quoted. Expect to pay a bit extra for the multi-V belt (which drives the alternator, a/c compressor, etc) since it is a good idea for it to be changed at the same time; iirc the cost for the belt was around 30 pounds.