N reg Polo 1.3 turns over then cuts out - greenpolo
I have a VW Polo 1.3cl, N reg ('96). 68000 on the clock.
Recently I have been experiencing this problem when starting the car:
Key turns and ignition fires perfectly
Engine turns over for 1 second, reaching satisfactory revs
Then rev counter drops suddenly and engine cuts out
Usually happens once, but when warm it happened 6 times before finally holding it's revs.
So far no problems once up and running.
What could be the cause, and what is the cure and likely costs?
New to car ownership and inexperiences with maintenance, don't want to appear too naive when I go to the garage. Can anyone advise me please?
N reg POLO 1.3 turns over then cuts out - bell boy
try another key as the first port of call
if you have one
polos suffer chipped key memory synndrome (or crap to use the shorter version)
N reg POLO 1.3 turns over then cuts out - greenpolo
Errr! Thanks a lot. Any serious suggestions also welcome.
N reg POLO 1.3 turns over then cuts out - spikeyhead {p}
The reply was perfectly serious. Your symptoms fit exactly with the imobiliser not being disabled. This is usually done by a chip within the key. If you've got another give it a try.
--
I read often, only post occasionally
N reg POLO 1.3 turns over then cuts out - greenpolo
Apologies to bell boy. Sorry. It was the crap bit that threw me. I haven't got another key unfortunately. I'll contact the previous owner to see if there is a spare. Meanwhile, do you mean within the key's plastic surround there is a chip which needs to be near/in contact with the ignition system to mobilise the engine? Fascinating stuff. Sounds like a small problem if I can get the other key, if I can't get hold of one how do I go about getting a new one? Thank you both for your help.
N reg POLO 1.3 turns over then cuts out - Perfection
Its a bad connection on the immobiliser module to the ignition key connection. Look underneath the steering wheel you will find a few wires with some electricla connectors, unplug and give it a clean (wit contact cleaner). This is a norm problem on all polo of that year..