Tow Bar fitting at home - mfergus
I've just treated myself to a Subaru Forester XE but find the dealer's price for a tow bar a bit steep. I've heard of companies who'll pop round and fit a bar while you're at work or home - any experiences, are they any good?
Tow Bar fitting at home - bert-j
I don't know what type of electrics your Subaru has but if it uses the modern can-bus system make sure that the installer knows what he's doing. Tow bar wiring will need special relays in this case and a poor installer could invalidate your new car warranty. The Subaru dealer will probably use a mobile fitter but if something goes wrong there would be no warranty problem.
Tow Bar fitting at home - markengland
I used the same firm twice for two Berlingos we had at work and I thought they were excellent. They were very reasonably priced in my opinion and the fitters seemed efficient and knowledgeable. Yes I would use them again. But obviously the quality of the installation will very much depend on the fitter you get on the day and the standard of parts used.
Tow Bar fitting at home - Aprilia
The Forester should be a fairly straightforward installation - no CANbus.

I buy towing equipment from this company in Nuneaton:

www.towequipe.co.uk/

Their prices are good and there are on-line instructions available for many bars, so you can see what's involved.
Personally I would always take the car to a fitter with workshop - he's likely to work better in the warm and dry and have a larger selection of tools at his disposal. That's not to say a mobile fitter can't do a good job, its just more difficult to deal with snags under those circumstances.
Tow Bar fitting at home - MVP
Same issue with our Forester last year.

Bought the towbar & connection kit from Subaru, and got our "regular" mechinic to fit it (charged £50 I think)