306 lower wishbone bushes - SjB {P}
With SWMBO's 1995 306 Sedan on axles stands for it's annual service I took the opportunity to perform a pre-MOT check. Everything seems fine apart from noticeable play in the left hand front wheel assembly. The front right hand wheel assembly, which doesn't bear so much roundabout loading or clattering through potholes and kerbside water, is as sweet as a nut.

With the suspension unloaded, grasping the top and bottom of the roadwheel and performing an in-out rocking motion gives a very slight but noticeable "clonk". Repeating with hands at "quarter to three" gives exactly the same "clonk". The steering wheel was free to rotate so I don't think steering joints are at fault, confirmed by having an assistant rotate the steering wheel whilst I held the road wheel; no play. Likewise I don't think it's the wheel bearing as there is no bearing related noise when driving under any condition or when spinning the roadwheel.

A penny to a pound the fabled inner rear bush on the front lower wishbone has worn.

If it is a wishbone bush, I know that Peugeot only sell a complete assembly of lower wishbone and bushes but motor factors sell the bushes separately. If I purchase the latter, is it an easy job to press the old bushes out and the new ones in, please?

For info, whilst it's all apart I'll replace the balljoint too for the sake of the few quid it will cost.

I think I have deduced the only component that could cause what I describe, but if you have 306 experience and think otherwise, please comment!

Cheers.
306 lower wishbone bushes - dieselhead
To check the inner suspension bush ( so called 'p' bush) you really need to lever between the subframe and suspension arm to check for excessive movement (usually quite obvious as the rubber separates from the inner metal sleeve and floats around . To remove them I hacksaw away the old rubber and heat the metal part up with a welding torch then a bit of hammering is enough to expand it enough to allow it to drop off. I suppose it would be possible to slit it with a hacksaw if you were really carefull.
It's important to get the alignment of the new bush just right so take note of position of the old one,
Peugeot will sell you a bush separately
Ta muchly, dieselhead.
Most helpful.

From my description, do you think it is the rear inner bush or the balljoint that has failed?
Although the car is now twelve years old, the mileage is a genuine lowly 45k.
The car (a totally standard 1.8 SR Sedan) runs on nicely compliant 175/65x14 tyres rather than rubber band low profiles.

I should add that I ask the question as I won't have time to perform the "lever" test until the weekend and would rather buy the parts during the week.
306 lower wishbone bushes - dieselhead
sounds more like a failed lower balljoint rather than the suspension arm bush unless it is in a really bad way...usually hear a clonk when driving over rough roads when the bush fails. It's possible to check the bush from under the bonnet.
306 lower wishbone bushes - peugeotman0
Having had the joy of changing the P bushes and the front ones as well, it strikes me that, if you are intending to change the balljoint as well, you might be better to simply fit a new wishbone. Check prices at GSF if you have a local branch, or, if you have time to wait, Ebay is usually a good source for these. Also, have you checked the antiroll bar to strut links? - these can seem firm enough, but rattle like mad on rough surfaces; again, they aren't daft money to relace if you don't pay Peugeot prices.

Thanks, peugeotman0.

£42.50 for the wishbone (listed as without balljoint) and £15.00 for the balljoint from GSF.
£12.60 for the drop link.

I'll replace all three and be done with it, followed if all is obviously not right with a wheel alignment session.
I'm surprised to hear that the wishbone doesn't include the balljoint; the last pair I got were complete, so a very easy and cheap fix;(but I can't remember where they came from).might be worth checking by phone whether the balljoint is there or not; if you've already done this, apologies; the GSF online catalogue doesn't specify one way or the other - but the front and rear bushes can be swines to remove unless you've got loads of heat at your disposal.
306 lower wishbone bushes - LeePower
Isnt ball joint screwed into the hub in normal PSA style & not part of the wishbone?
Yes, the balljoint is fixed to the lower wishbone with three bolts, and the way I read the GSF online catalog is that the balljoint is the separate item that this would imply. Pleasantly surprised at the prices too, hoping OEM quality applies; this is the first suspension maintenance on the car in 12 years, even allowing for a lowish 45k miles in that time.
'track's' offer sounds like a bargain to me; does it include fitting??? I think I'll phone GSF tomorrow just for my own future info whether the balljoints are included or not. I've always found GSF very helpful, and their stuff is branded or o.e.m. quality. The only item I ever had a problem with was a loose baffle in an exhaust middle section I'd bought and fitted 18months before. When I phoned in the hope of getting some recompense, the guy even knew from his computer when I'd bought it! a new one was waiting about two days later, and I was told I could return the faulty one whenever convenient. What service! I have no connection with GSF at all other than as a very satisfied customer - the online catalogue serves as a very useful price comparison if you're going to shop around, but don't forget to include the dreaded VAT.
306 lower wishbone bushes - track
sorry for a blatant plug here, Ive just ripped my 306 apart as it had stood 18 months as I have other cars to drive. Anyway cut a long story short. I just removed from it a pair of wishjbones, both brand new when fitted around 10 months ago and since then the vehicle has just stood, IE they literally have done zero miles. Id be more than happy to part with a pair for less than the cost of one new sihbone from peugeot. Say £30 the pair plus a fiver for postage, or you can collect middlebsrough area if you want.
306 lower wishbone bushes - RichardW
It seems unlikely to me this is the wishbone bushes - we had one let go on our old ZX at about 120k - the only symptom was a graunching nosie on full lock in car parks the ones in our current one (94, 80k, and my 97 108k Xantia are still OK). You can easily see the bush - for the LH bush wind the steering onto full right lock then look in behind the wheel - you will be able to see the back of the bush - if it's knackered the rubber will be all split. My money is on either the track rod end (I have replaced quite a few of these on our Xantias and ZXs) and/or the ball joint - both are cheaper and easier to change than the wishbone, so pays to get the diagnosis sorted out!

Tips: you will need a 16mm deep socket to get the wishbone pinch bolt nut off. Once you have the bolt out, you will find that once you get the ball joint pin moving it will go about 1/4" then will jam solid. To overcome this you need to push the hub in towards the car (quite hard, knee behind elbow type of thing) whilst levering the joint out. Otherwise thread a long bar over the wishbone from the front an place it under the floor of the car (with a block of wood!) and lean on it hard.
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
306 lower wishbone bushes - RichardW
Oh, and.... when refitting the wishbone, get the bolts in the p-clip first, before you try and engage the wishbone.

Did you have a new driveshaft in this car? Can't remember - but is the hub nut properly tight?
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
306 lower wishbone bushes - gsb
For another price comparison, I have often used Neat Autos for parts for my 406, they always seem to be reasonably priced good quality parts. www.parts4peugeot.com/acatalog/index.html