Pug 407 - Cambelt Change at 160k miles? - PR88
I have a Peugeot 407 2.0 HDI, the handbook refers to dealer for cambelt change intervals. The car has done 57k, and I am told by my local dealer that the change is due at 160k miles. This seems very high, and I would like to hear from any views on the forum as to known failures as I am aware this engine is also used in some Fords.
Pug 407 - Cambelt Change at 160k miles? - cheddar
I think Ford quote 100k for that engine, in my mind 100k is too long for a belt, I would have it done while in warranty, so in that case anytime now (3 year 60k warranty), the problem with the 100k change is that while it implies faith in the engineering etc if the belt does fail early, say at 80 to 80k miles it is outside of the warranty period so you are stuffed.
Pug 407 - Cambelt Change at 160k miles? - 659FBE
Although I've not inspected this engine, I can say that in general PSA timing drives are amongst the best engineered belt drives in the business.

However, two things do spring to mind. Traditionally, PSA engines have the water pump driven from the cambelt. No PSA water pump I've ever seen would do that kind of mileage without showing signs of leakage from the bearing vent hole - most start to go at about 80 - 90k miles. Secondly, I would regard 5 years as the maximum time a timing belt should stay on an engine.

My personal suggestion from experience in the business would be to change the belt, water pump and idlers at about 70k miles or 5 years which ever occurs first.

Pug 407 - Cambelt Change at 160k miles? - LeePower
Say for arguments sake

The car has a full Peugeot service history but the cambelt breaks before the time / mileage interval stated by Peugeot but the cars outside the original 3 year manufactures warranty, shouldn't Peugeot then pick up the full repair bill?

Pug 407 - Cambelt Change at 160k miles? - 659FBE
For the sake of a belt and idler/water pump change which will be required once or just possibly twice in the vehicle life span, I'll leave you to test that one out. Why on earth should PSA pay - it's a recommendation, not a guarantee.

Pug 407 - Cambelt Change at 160k miles? - LeePower
After 4 myself & 6 in the family I dont intend buying another PSA product ever again so im not going to get the chance to test that one out.

If Peugeot say the cambelt should be changed at 160K miles or however many years have passed which ever comes first & it breaks before that then in my opinion Peugeot should if the car has a full Peugeot service history be picking up the bill.
Pug 407 - Cambelt Change at 160k miles? - DP
If Peugeot say the cambelt should be changed at 160K miles
or however many years have passed which ever comes first &
it breaks before that then in my opinion Peugeot should if
the car has a full Peugeot service history be picking up
the bill.

I tend to agree. However, the "get out" which seems to be used by most of the manufacturers is a recommendation buried in the service book somewhere that the belt should be changed sooner for "extreme operating conditions" or something similarly worded. In short, you'll never be able to prove how you used the car, and therefore whether it failed prematurely, or you chose to ignore the service advice.

I would want it done at 70k-80k tops.Just not worth the hassle.

Cheers
DP
Pug 407 - Cambelt Change at 160k miles? - PhilW
I think Citroen quote 100k for the 2.0HDi which is 160k kilometres, which could be where 160 k figure came from. Interval is certainly NOT 160k miles. We had ours done at 72k miles on the basis that better early than late and that we would probably do 100k miles in it but not 144k miles therefore we would only change it once in its lifetime. Our local independent agreed that it wasn't a bad idea and only charged £120 while car was in for service.
Incidentally, if your dealer quotes 160k miles - I would find another dealer (or good independent) - he is talking rubbish (and how come, on such an "old" -well, popular 7 year old engine anyway, he has to look it up??)
--
Phil
PS
further discussion here
www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=206...t
www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=468...t
--
Phil
Pug 407 - Cambelt Change at 160k miles? - cheddar
The 407 is the later Ford / PSA unit.
Oops, sorry 'bout that. Thought it was the older HDi.
--
Phil