LPG gas conversion - SadSack
Having found that sad little Hyundai Santa Fe falls into the persecuted band G VED rating (must be lowest emissions car that does) I'm wondering at what point to take a big financial hit by changing to an older 4x4 (not G rated even if higher emissions) or perhaps get it converted to run on LPG.
Does anyone know if it could be done and roughly how much it would cost?
LPG gas conversion - ssray
get a 3.0 toyota hilux surf and run a 2 tank vegoil set up.
LPG gas conversion - SadSack
The two options were exclusive. If I went for the older car then I wouldn't worry about converting. The Santa Fe should be convertable (presently a 2.4 petrol engine) and has a lot of kit that makes me like it a lot. It all depends on what is required in converting and how much it'd cost. If the Lib-Dem threat of £2000 per year for band G cars were to emerge as a reality then that'd make the sums easier. Trouble is that on a car like this that cost £12K new in 2006 the sums are not so obvious as if it was a £40K plus vehicle.

LPG gas conversion - Quinny100
It makes me laugh that people with 2006 cars with high emmissions are getting their knickers in a twist over an extra £20 a month in VED, when most of the vehicles in that band will burn £20 worth of fuel in 100 miles or so.

LPG is not without its disadvantages, namely slightly reduced performance and extra consumption compared to petrol.
LPG gas conversion - boxsterboy
LPG seems to be going out of favour with the policymakers, and your case is a prime example. If you convert to LPG, and get a lower VED, what's to guarantee that you will actually use the kit (although obviously you would be mad not to, having spent the money on it).

I think this is why the forthcoming Congestion Charge changes are ending discounts for LPG cars. At present you can convert a gas-guzzler, get exemption, never use the LPG tank but save £8 per day.
LPG gas conversion - Tim Allcott
Similar to the people willing to drive 10 miles out of their way to save one tenth of a penny on their petrol...
O.K., when there's a difference of 1p plus: let's do the sums: 50 litre tank = 50p saved: at 90p per litre that's 0.56 litres. For the imperialists amongst us, one twelfth of a gallon. at 30 mpg, 2.5 miles.
Yet some people seem so obsessed with saving the 50p they're willing to spend a couple of pounds...
Tim{P}