Excellent VW customer service - Johny B
All,

Often read but don't post, but this time felt I should.

I know on this forum VW dealers and customer service has not had much positive postive feedback to put it mildly, but today a dealership in the SE (not sure I am allowed to name them) were excellent.

My Golf was losing coolant at a slow but steady rate for the last week. Rang up yesterday and they said bring it in tomorrow sir and we will have a look. Found the radiator had a small leak, new radiator fitted no hassle, and under warranty. Even though I know the car is only 2 years 10 months old and this should be the case, the no hassle/straight answer approach was truly appreciated by myself.

VW can get it right, perhaps some of dealerships could learn a thing or to from this dealer.

Johny B
Excellent VW customer service - cheddar
>>2 years 10 months old>>

3 year warranty?
Excellent VW customer service - MVP
If fixing a part under waranty that shouldn't have failed in the 1st place, is excellent service, then I guess low expectations are the order of the day.....
Excellent VW customer service - Stuartli
Doesn't matter what does it?

There'll always be some excuse to knock VAG...:-)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Excellent VW customer service - R75
If fixing a part under waranty that shouldn't have failed in
the 1st place, is excellent service, then I guess low expectations
are the order of the day.....

Really! I took the post by the OP to mean he was glad that the work was carried out without hassle. A hole in a radiator after nearly 3 years could quite easily be put down to wear and tear, if the work was done under warranty without hassle then that is good service, how many people post here about having to fight to get things done under warranty?

Makes a nice change to hear about good service and how things should be done (and I am no VW fan).
Excellent VW customer service - Stuartli
>>Really! I took the post by the OP to mean he was glad that the work was carried out without hassle>>

That was exactly how I read it.

The hole could quite conceivably have been caused by the radiator being hit by a stone.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Excellent VW customer service - DP
Nice to see a dealer working with a customer for once rather than arguing with them.

At the end of the day, this is all you can expect from a dealer. An honest appraisal of a fault, and a quick resolution that lasts. Warranties to be honoured without hassle, work to be carried out correctly to manufacturer approved standards or accepted sound engineering practice. Reasonable labour rates for chargeable jobs, a courtesy car if required, and staff that are pleasant to deal with.

Most main dealers I've dealt with (Ford, Renault, Vauxhall, VW) fail on one or more of these. It's nice to know that not all are the same.

Cheers
DP

Excellent VW customer service - paulb {P}
...A hole in a radiator after nearly 3 years could quite easily
be put down to wear and tear...

...or will be adjudged to be accidental damage when it was a design fault that allowed it to happen in the first place. (Yes, I am still miffed about that £450 bill to fix my old Civic's a/c condenser last May.)
Excellent VW customer service - R75
...or will be adjudged to be accidental damage when it was
a design fault that allowed it to happen in the first
place. (Yes, I am still miffed about that £450 bill
to fix my old Civic's a/c condenser last May.)

I had this happen on a hired Focus about 6 years ago, well known problem apparently (by Ford service dept) but not considered a technical problem at the time. Hire company tried to charge us for the damage - they got told where to go very promptly.
Excellent VW customer service - BobL
Excellent cutomer service from a VW dealer - a rare beast indeed. Ought to have him stuffed
Indeed my intended sentiments were that I received no hassle from the dealer and excellent service.

They could have easily kicked up a fuss, particulary based the high level of motorway miles I do and the number of chip marks around the fromt grill, one of which could of caused the small hole in the radiator.

Excellent VW customer service - MVP
The dealer will be re-imbursed by VW for the rad, and they were obviously low on work, the way they fitted you in next day.

A nice arrangement for all I would say.
Excellent VW customer service - wantone
ThIs chaps happy with the service he got for maybe a stone through his radiator and all you have done is make snide comments.
Find somthing better to do.
Excellent VW customer service - George Porge
ThIs chaps happy with the service he got for maybe a
stone through his radiator and all you have done is make
snide comments.
Find somthing better to do.

But this is a VW thread and it goes against convention that a customer has had good service from VW dealer. We buy VWs, how stupid are we!
Excellent VW customer service - wantone
I should of said that this comment was made for mvp who sounds like cardriver in disguise.
His comments just kick a happy chappy in the teeth.
Excellent VW customer service - stevied
It's not an arrangement, that's what dealers do.

That's how warranty works re reimbusement.

That's how life works.

What do you expect? What do we want dealers to do? What exactly is it that we expect? Rollerskating topless waitresses serving us mocachocaccinos while they do all our work for free, regardless of whether we're at fault or not? Jeez.... I am glad I don't work at a car dealers. They seem to have replaced estate agents as everyone's favourite figure of hate...

Full marks to the OP for saying it's nice to get good service, EVEN if everyone else seemingly thinks it should not be commented on.

Excellent VW customer service - wontane
>>I should of said that this comment was made for mvp who sounds like cardriver in disguise.
His comments just kick a happy chappy in the teeth.<<

Be careful what you wish for wantone.
Concentrate on the OP and not criticising others that are not even involved.
Your comments could be considered as a sign of weakness in your argument.
Poor old cardriver was not even contributing to this thread and the guy gets dragged into the debate.

At least with the latest Auto Express 2007 Driver Power Survey that scores the Octavia Vrs as number 1 - as far as customer feedback is concerned people are now being proved wrong about VAG.

Although us VAG owners do regularly dispute the validity of these results of course when the Japs always win so I am not sure we can believe this to be true.
Excellent VW customer service - Hamsafar
There seems to be a big problem with VW radiators of this era, often I have been sat in service reception and it would seem nearly every customer is being told a new radiator was fitted.
Excellent VW customer service - scott1s
My my my we are in a lovely mood aren't we . . . . . . . . . .
Credit where credit is due - this dealer did the job the way really it SHOULD be done but which is all to rare. Well done and it's only right that good work should be acknowledged.
My own experience of garages here in Scotland (will not name and shame . . . . . . . . guess instead) is that simple warranty claims require 2 or sometimes 3 visits occasionally more.
1- diagnose problem (car booked in for a day)
2- wait for parts to come in
3 - fit said parts (car booked in for a day)
4 -Back to the garage to get the job finished properly
5 - Diagnose other problem that wasn't there prior to the car going in in the first place (car booked in for a day)
6 - go back to 2
this flow chart appears to be fairly consistent across various outlets so no real one-offs in my experience
Excellent VW customer service - track
I think the major problems regarding service departm,ents and works being carriedout now is not many have what I deem to be proper mechanics and the computer literate bunch that they do have dont take any care with their work as the dealership does not depend on repeat custom through the workshop. I agree it can have a knock on effect through the sales if they develop a bad customer service reputation but not many people investigate these things when purchasing cars, they are money orientated and go where they see a few quid saving.
Excellent VW customer service - wontane
I think this post needs to be put into context.

The guy involved has had a radiator leak within warranty.
The dealer has fixed it without any fuss - that's what they should do.

There is no doubt in my mind that it did not have a stone through it or the dealer will now be picking up the warranty bill and not VW - and some poor so and so in the service dept will be facing a lashing as well.
VW UK would not re-imburse the dealer if they conducted work that was not covered by the Warranty.
VW and their dealerships - like all the others - are not a charity.
If I am wrong then please share the dealers name because I am not proud enough to not accept charity when it comes to repairs on my car.
IMO this was not excellent service but should be expected.
Simple really - I don't understand where the credit is due.
Excellent VW customer service - PoloGirl
Folks, please don't put off a new poster with your scepticism and tired love VW/hateVW arguments after only his first post!

Ok so the dealership did what they were meant to do, but I think the point he's making is that it was all done quickly, and with a minimum of fuss. I know that's what dealers are supposed to do, but how many actually do?

You can name the dealership that gave you good service...

.... but coming from someone who makes a 60 mile round trip to get good service from a VW dealership, if it's my local one, I'll never believe you! ;)
Thanks PoloGirl, I am not put off yet!

The garage in question was Martins, Camberley branch.

As an aside, as my car is coming upto three years old and owned by myself/ not leased, they may see it as prudent not to annoy a customer, who may want to buy a new golf in the coming months. Though between you and me my golf is good for another 50k, before I will shift it.

Johny B

Excellent VW customer service - Bill Payer
...they may see it as prudent not to annoy a customer, who may want to buy a new golf in the coming months.

It would be lovely to think that they had the foresight to make that connection.
Excellent VW customer service - Gromit {P}
If we want higher standards from garages and dealers (and who doesn't), its important that we do as Johny B has and praise those who make the effort.

Imagine you're the mug stuck at the front desk of a service department: its all too easy do what it takes the keep the boorish customer quiet, and leave the patient soul to wait. And, if all you - and your boss - hear are complaints from aggreived customers, that's exactly what you'll do. But if word of good service gets around, and that good service encourages new customers in the front door, then we can look forward to further improvements.

Am I being optimistic? Naive? Probably - but isn't it better than muttering darkly when things aren't up to scratch and letting it go unnoticed when they are?
Excellent VW customer service - Martin Sweeney
I agree with the majority of the posts above in saying well done Jonny, good on you for flagging up some decent dealer service irrespective of the manufacturer. VW are certainly patchy in this regard and receive valid criticism for this, but where there are examples of good service they should be lauded and encouraged.

I wouldn?t worry about Wontane/Type/Cardriver/...maybe MVP, as despite the multiple IDs, his irrational loathing of all things VAG related is consistent. Also contrary to what he states above with his new ID he isn?t a VAG owner, but that?s his MO. Wantone has a mild dig at Cardriver, so Cardriver signs up again on Saturday, this time as Wontane (clever huh?) and defends his own honour. "Poor old cardriver"....classic.