VW passat - Bad egg smells - neil99
I have a VW passat with climate. When I start the engine mainly and sometimes when running the smell is really bad. I tried one of the sprays you leave in your car for 10 mins and this helped for a few days but smell seems to have come back worse. Can anyone advise or have you had similar problems. Help the peg is hurting my nose!!
VW passat - Bad egg smells - mother
Hi Neil, I have the same problem with my Mondeo. I have used a product from the forte range called Air Conditioner Treatment. It seems to have worked but I have noticed that there is no water coming from the engine after the car has stopped. I have been told that there could be a blockage in the drain so, tomorrow I will be having it checked. I will let you know how I get on and will get back to you next week to see if the swetty sock smell goes. regards Mother
VW passat - Bad egg smells - Armitage Shanks {p}
OP's title mentions bad eggs but not then in the text. Could it be related to the exhaust not the a/c?www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=29...4

VW passat - Bad egg smells - Carse
Sounds to me like the car is over fuelling and the CAT is burning too hot. The bag egg smell is sulphur within the CAT.

Carse
I have just recently had the car serviced so there may be some coincidence here. I assume alterations to mixtures etc may cause this. Why would CAT be hot instantly eg as soon as I start the engine is when the smell appears??
cheers
VW passat - Bad egg smells - Dynamic Dave
The bag egg smell is sulphur within the CAT.

Or within the petrol itself. Try a different filling station, as well as a different brand of petrol to see if it makes a difference.
VW passat - Bad egg smells - Roly93
Sounds to me like the car is over fuelling and the
CAT is burning too hot. The bag egg smell is
sulphur within the CAT.

Agreed, the bacteria in the aircon system has a smell more like BO or sweaty socks...
VW passat - Bad egg smells - Granada Cosworth
Some with A/C system have filter that needs changing at service time.
VW passat - Bad egg smells - mjm
Will a battery not smell of hydrogen sulphide under certain conditions, overcharging for example?

Could the alternator be faulty?

I would have thought that the cat would be too slow to warm up and it would be difficult for the fumes to reach the cabin.
VW passat - Bad egg smells - Theunisse
I started to get a very strong bad egg smell in my Nissan Primera for a few days prior to my battery finally giving up the ghost when a faulty alternator overcharged and boiled it.
VW passat - Bad egg smells - injection doc
Get an emission test done at a garage/mot centre incase it has a mixture issue to prevent further damage if it is running rich, & if its ok have the battery voltage checked whilst running.Is it an 1800 & if so do you think its misfiring?
An 1800T. A few days ago it did misfire on two separate occasions but otherwise running well. The garage did adjust 2 weeks ago as car was stalling at low speed-crawling traffic-but this seems to be resloved but gained a smell. Oddly enough yesterday i run on auto mode and did not get a whiff-will see what happens next few days. Thanks for all the replies.
VW passat - Bad egg smells - injection doc
I would recomend a diagnostic check ( not a fault code read ) & an emission check just to be on the safe side. There is no idle adjustment apart from washing the throttle body out & reprogramming the idle speed. the throttle body's are renowned for failing but sometimes cleaning & reset works fine.
Coil packs & plugs & leads are a weakness so if missfire persist check these.
VW passat - Bad egg smells - Saltrampen
Just as a precaution (probably not the problem) - check the oil level is not too high - this causes stalling/jerkiness at low speed after some hard work and sometimes funny smells.
VW passat - Bad egg smells - mother
Hi Neil99 as promised I said I would get back to you. The car doe's not smell any more the fotre product worked but I would check the catalytic exhaust is ok. I put the car on a ramp and there was a slight bad egg smell coming from the middle of the exhaust system, adios