A3 - Suspect Steve
Hi there,

I am thinking of buying an Audi A3 for around £10,000.
Is there anything I should be aware of.

Also, how will the prices of the current A3 be affected
when the new model comes out next year?

Thanks

Steve
Re: A3 - KB
I have the distinct impression that the A3 is a sensible, if pricey, choice. According to a dealer to whom I spoke the diesel is very desirable and holds it's money best of all. Others will probably tell you to spend your money on similar Seat/VW/Skoda variants. Showroom4cars do excellent deals on a new Fabia and at £10.000 you'll get a new Tdi or 1.4 16 valve for that sort of money. At a good discount, I reckon the Fabia would be a good choice. Similar comments apply to the Seat. I saw a SE Tdi at excellent discount and would have thought that by buying new, but at less than list, you'd reduce your chance of getting a duffer without losing a fortune in depreciationand have a definite 3 years without big bills.

KB.
Re: A3 - Suspect Steve
I appreciate your comments!
I have been thinking of the seat/VW option, I require something sporty.
I have heard the seat leon 20V T Cupra is a good option.
Re: A3 - Andy Bairsto
Its overpriced its German and nobody exept the uk market wants them,A skoda with the same spec is a better buy.Look on www.autoscout24.de to see their real value
Indeed it was a Leon Tdi SE that I was referring to above. It was at www.showroom4cars.com and is a factory ordered import (2yr. Warranty with option of 3rd year to be purchased). Price £11973 for the Tdi 110 SE 5door hatchback (saving £2673). All SE Leons have lowered suspension + various goodies.

Have a look and give them a ring. I came within a whisker of ordering a car from them last week, but changed my mind and (as I posted recently) ordered another Yaris from the Netherlands. (Diesel this time).

I found showroom4cars to be pretty helpful and would have gone ahead with them, had I not decided to go for another Toyota from a supplier whom I am familiar with.

KB.
Re: A3 - Todd
I've got a UK supplied Leon SE TDI (Y-reg). I can definetley recommend them. Lots of standard equipment, for example, front and side airbags, full climate control, 15 inch alloys (same as polo gti), sports seats, sports suspension, spoiler, front fog lights, electronically folding wing mirrors, heated wing mirrors, traction control, all 3 point seat belts at the back, 5 doors.
Price up an Audi with all that stuff. The dashboard and fittings are the same as an Audi A3.
The dealers I use are very good and cost less than for an equivalent service for a golf. The customer service seems better than I've experienced at Volkswagen, curiously.
It is a very nice car to squirt along country lanes, and the 110bhp turbo diesel engine is bullet proof. Will do 125mph indicated (on private roads obviously). Plus 50mpg at a steady 90mph (again on private roads).
Plus if you import, you can save £2500 over what I paid, plus can order options like leather seats for about £800, which ain't too bad.
The Cupra is £12999 (£2236 off)

KB.
Re: A3 - Cardew
KB,
In your first post you talk of the of the A3 and suggest the Fabia. Is that not one size down on the A3 and a (new) Polo variant?

Personally I can see little difference between the A3 and Golf in build quality and there is also little mechanical difference.

C
Re: A3 - Phil
Used values for A3 are sky high - I agree with most here in that an imported Leon would be a much better choice - and it would be new!
Hello Cardew.

I honestlly think I'll stick to my original observation. There's as much room in a Fabia as in an A3. The A3 is 4165mm and the Fabia 3962. Not a huge difference and better use of space being used in the Skoda. The Octavia is based on the Golf platform, but at 4521mm is a much bigger vehicle.

Regards,

KB.
Re: A3 - Cardew
KB,
Ok I agree the A3 is only 8 inches longer ? lots of men are very proud of that dimension though!

Regards
C
Regrettably, much as I wish I did, I don't fall in to that category. :-(

KB.
Re: A3 - Donkey Hoatey
Friends and colleagues in Germany simply can't understand why we put the cramped A3 on a pedestal. It's OK but its perception in the UK is a triumph of marketing over reality. You can do far better for the money.

See HJ's review of the Focus for example.
Badge Snobbery - Suspect Steve
Thanks to KB, Cardew and Donkey Hoatey for your comments on the A3.

I have to admit I am very much of a badge snob!
This weekend I concidered buying a T Reg Golf 1.8T,
but am coming to terms with my condition (which I have passed
on to my wife!!) and thing seriously of a Léon.