£8.5k, economical hatch. - y2k+4
Right, baring in mind that th.is will be about six months down the line, I'll be changing my car (6 year old, 1.6 focus) for a new (18 month old) small hatch. I've figured that with £8,500 (I've saved up) I should be able to afford a decent one? Trouble is I'll be wanting a diesel, that will achieve a good mpg and a minimum of 18 months warranty left that wouldn't depreciate too much over the next 2/3 years (perhaps worth £5000 in a couple of years)? Also I wouldn't want to be taking a huge step-down in driving ability, so I'd be looking for about as much performance and handling ability of the Focus. Is this even possible? I've been considering taking the new wave of larger superminis (Yaris, Grande Punto, 207, Clio etc, maybe SEAT Ibiza) out for a test drive, but i've found (in the past) ten minutes around the block doesn't really tell me much and they all feel much the same...anyone have experience of this type of car?
£8.5k, economical hatch. - Xileno {P}
I would keep what you've got, compared to that list of alternatives. Not answered your question but those are my thoughts.
I would but the Focus has been expensive over the last year, and really wants for a few bits more that will cost (having done a 115,000 miles it;s to be expected). It's just not a sensible thing to be pouring money into to my mind. Apart from that I've recently moved around town fuel consumption is appalling. I got 281 miles out of 44 litres the last week, which is ridiculous for a 1.6 in my mind.

I would maybe consider an old-shape Focus TDCi, with a low mileage, would this perhaps be a better bet?
£8.5k, economical hatch. - barchettaman
Skoda Fabia vRS?
Should come in on budget.
My folks have one in the south of France - looking forward to July and some high speed trips between the vineyards of the Languedoc in it!
I had thought of that, but then I thought insurance for a 22 year old (which I'll be by the time I come to buying) male will be a bit high...
£8.5k, economical hatch. - Bill Payer
anyone have experience of this type of car?

Yes - we currently have a new Mitsubishi Colt, a Jazz and an Ibiza. And we've had a Clio (mk2) and I've driven Punto, Yaris and 207 (and various others).

They do all feel much of a muchness, especially for local use. You mention a diesel so presumeably you'll be doing quite a lot of miles. These cars tend not to be comfortable for longer journeys - seats aren't supportive and the cars are often too 'lively' so get tiring.

If you've any specific issues (like extra long legs or you carry a drum kit etc) then you need to pay attention to those details, but otherwise I'd look at things like how nearby is your local dealer etc. Of our cars, you can feel the 'engineering' in the Jazz, the Colt feels cheap by comparison (probably because it is!) but it riades noticeably better than the Jazz, and the Ibiza is the nicest to drive on the open road, but it rattles quite a lot.

One thing I would say is to be careful if you're thinking of buying 3dr versions of those cars. If your Focus is 3dr you'll be used to this, but some of them have enormous doors which makes getting in and out awkward in a tight spot. Also make sure the seats slide out of the way and returnback to their original position OK.

I think many manufactuers offer 24 hour (or longer) test drives now so maybe you could try a few cars out.
Thanks that's really helpful! I actually want a diesel cause I actually prefer the way they drive...and I like the fuel saving too - it's just the regular cost of them is so much lower and (as ridiculous as it sounds) I hate handing over more money to the fuel companies than I absolutely have to (I know the obvious answer here is to just get a bus, but come on!) I do about 50% of my time in town now, with about 20% on the motorway and 30% on country roads, which is why the Focus has always proved so useful as it takes all these situations in it's stride. It's just as it's worn on (out...LOL) it's got less capable of doing it all and with such pitiful fuel consumption and some quite heavy bills lately, I've decided it's nearing time to change. I'm leaving it for six months til insurance and such is up, so I can change at minimal cost.
£8.5k, economical hatch. - Brian Tryzers
Doesn't have to be the VRS - there are plenty of other engine options in the Fabia, although I'd be concerned about the insurance for any of the turbo-diesels. The rest of the car shouldn't come as too much of a shock after a Focus - it's not that much smaller, about the same size as a 1990s Astra, with space for four adults and a useful boot.
Another concern of normal Fabias is retained value - with a new one just around the corner, is it likely these will nose-dive?
£8.5k, economical hatch. - Brian Tryzers
I'm not really qualified to offer an answer to that but I'd be surprised if Fabia values crashed. The current model may be seven years old but it still looks smart and modern and isn't over-abundant. Besides, if you're not buying just yet, you should be able to benefit from any drop in prices when you buy.

Just discovered that there's a 1.4 TDI Fabia in insurance group 3, which might work for you.
£8.5k, economical hatch. - sine
>>I do about 50% of my time in town now
LPG? Much nicer for pedestrians, joggers and cyclists than the stink of a diesel. And possibly a bit cheaper too.
Cause when i'm not in town I'd not like the unsure-factor of where i can next fill up from...
£8.5k, economical hatch. - Lud
They run on petrol too you know.
£8.5k, economical hatch. - Gromit {P}
Hopefully they will - so you can take advantage of the drop in value afterwards when you buy one!

If you like the idea of a Fabia diesel, there's a 1.4 TDi and a 'normal' 1.9 TDi, besides the vRS, to consider.
Sorry, I didn't know. I'd still rather have the diesel, I like how powerful they tend to feel even if the delivery does feel a bit crude sometimes...
£8.5k, economical hatch. - tack
My son has a 1.5 diesel Megane hatch' He regularly gets over 600 miles to the tank. And......now get this......It is one of the least polluting of cars and he pays about £50 a year car tax. You should be able to get an 18mth old one in your budget. I know it ain't everyones cup o tea, but just a thought.
£8.5k, economical hatch. - Blue {P}
Y2K - I wouldn't worry about insuring a Skoda Fabia, I'm 22 and my insurance is only £110 per month on a BMW 323Ci which is in group 17 IIRC.

As for the car choice, I'd be getting a Focus TDCi, or at a push, the Skoda also sounds like a good bet but would be a little small for liking.

Blue
£8.5k, economical hatch. - Pugugly {P}
8.5k should get you a decent BMW compact. Diesel will give you 51mpg and impressive performance and a decent residual at that price. Nothing wrong with them if you're selective.
£8.5k, economical hatch. - tack
BMW Compact - Pug' you are so right, I forgot about that. I had one, an auto diesel. It was excellent and economical even for an auto. steel grey metalic with black leather. Only problem? after a year the engine had collapsed on its mountings after trying to tear itself out through torque. I think early turbos are suspect (rogue bearing problems) But for sheer pleasure and some cache....a nice drivers car.
£8.5k, economical hatch. - nick
>>my insurance is only £110 per month on a BMW 323Ci which is in group 17 IIRC.

ONLY £110 per month? Thank God I'm an old git now! Anyone starting off in motoring now has my sympathies.
£8.5k, economical hatch. - DP
A friend has a Fabia vRS as his current company car, and although it lacks the Focus' class in the chassis department (mostly thanks to typically horrid VAG steering), my God it's quick! It will chirp the front tyres over bumps in 4th and spin them out of corners in 3rd if you disable the traction control, The midrange acceleration just makes you laugh out loud, and I've never been in any other car that goes so hard with so little fuss or effort. I've seen this car figured at under 8 seconds to 60. Certainly it feels quicker than a 320d I once drove.

He's getting 50 mpg average with 10 mpg variance either way depending on use. Build quality is good, although the some of the trim looks a little cheap.

THE most fun diesel car I've ever driven.

Cheers
DP
£8.5k, economical hatch. - Pugugly {P}
"ONLY £110 per month"

And me - SWMBO just got the quote for her 200bhp Golf - er.....£25.00 a month ! (includes busness use) one of the few reasons to enjoy middle age.
£8.5k, economical hatch. - graham woods
ONLY £110 per month, heavens above, who are you insured with ? My insurance on a clio v6 3ltr only £65.00 per month fully comp and with business use as well. Must be down to my age i suppose (not that old though)
Cheers, Graham.
Thanks for the replies guys. I want to emphasise to those saying Beemers and such, that I want at least 18 months warranty because I really don't want anymore costs above petrol, servicing and tax and such for a while. I was intrigued about the Megane, especially with the 1.5 dci engine, but I wondered will it be reliable - you hear some shocking stories about Megane's and (though not the same engine) a 1.9dci Laguna in my Mum's company has been a disaster eating through turbos and such?
£8.5k, economical hatch. - TurboD
There is no cheap way to motoring- it is Holy Grail, IMHO
Diesel cars are dearer than petrol and need more servicing, and have more ( expensive) things to go wrong on a modern diesel, so it is not all one way. Good idea if you do not pay for servicing/maintenance. though.
Clearly something wrong with your Focus, but it could happen again with the next car.You are then on a treadmill.
I would get a brand new car within your budget, you have then years of confidence, from a Far Esastern supplier.
I know this somewhat goes against pretty much everything I said I was looking for, but how big a mistake would I make if I got either of the following cars?
Alfa Romeo 156, 1.9 JTD Veloce, 53, FSH, 45,000 miles @ £6,999.
Toyota Celica VVTi, 02 FSH, 44,000 miles, @ £7,000.

With the £1,500 pounds saved (probably to go on insurance), would day-to-day running costs be that much greater over say a Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 M-J diesel (90)? I'd have thought they'd hold their value better being older already, but they wouldn't have that warranty...
£8.5k, economical hatch. - No Do$h
Get the Alfa! But make sure the rear trailing arm bushes are tight and the same goes for the front lower and upper wishbone bushes. If not tell the dealer you want them replaced or £1000 off.

Bet the Toyota is looking more appealing already.
£8.5k, economical hatch. - jase1
Cheap, reliable diesel that's good to drive?

Kia Rio 1.5. You can get these for about £7500 at a number of brokers, and newer Kias seem to be holding their value quite well.