Focus '02'TDCi - how much? - csgmart
Mate at work is thinking of selling his Focus.

It's a 5 door 1.8 TDCi on an '02' plate with 98K on the clock.

Pantwork has some light scratches (caused by someone keying it).

The engine was replaced 20k miles ago when the previous cambelt went west. Replacement engine wasn't new - low mileage from an accidet damaged car.

He is thinking of selling it soon forabout £3,000. Does ths seem reasonable? I might potentially be inerested in buying the car so I wat to know if this is a good price or not.
Focus '02'TDCi - how much? - Martin1981
If he has all the service history, including receipts for all work done including the engine and the car runs and drives ok with no excessive smoke or rattles then £3k is a very good price, given it's a TDCi.

98k is nothing for one of these, especially if it's mainly motorway motorway miles and if all is well then you've got yourself a decent and very economical car for a very reasonable price.

Martin
Focus '02'TDCi - how much? - Stuartli
Just been looking up dealer prices for this model and all are around £5,500, even though the year ranges from 2002 to 2004. See:

tinyurl.com/2m723w

Surprisingly a 2003 model is listed as having delivery mileage only.....

My son has a March '03 Zetec version and it really is a cracking car - quick too.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Focus '02'TDCi - how much? - quizman
When I tried to part chop my LX TDCI 115bhp 52reg 21000 mile aircon met silver with no scratches, I was offered £5250 last year. I did not accept their offer.

I would think £3000 is a decent price for a 02 reg with big miles and scratches.

I thought that the cam belt on a Focus was supposd to last till 100, 000 miles, what happened?
Not sure - cambelt snapped I know that much.

I might make him a offer as the air con needs to be fixed as well.

Any known issues with air con on Focus's? Any idea what it would cost to put right?
Focus '02'TDCi - how much? - Aprilia
How much do you know about that s/hand replacement engine? IME used engines are always 'low mileage'. Do you have any hard evidence of its mileage?
No idea about the engine. The guy was talking to me about it (we were discussing the fact that my car is due to have it's cambelt changed soon) and he told me about the problem he had and that the engine was a low mileage one.

This was even before he mentioned that he was thinking about selling it - I haven't mentioned to him about being interested yet so I have no reason to think he was telling anything other than the truth.

If I do make him an offer I will make sure that he gives me some evidence etc. He is a youngish chap but comes from a good background and seems reliable and honest.
Focus '02'TDCi - how much? - Aprilia
The seller isn't really the issue though, its the supplier of the engine I was more thinking about. Most secondhand engines are sold as 'low mileage' (24k is a popular figure for some reason).
Focus '02'TDCi - how much? - jag
i think the guy selling the car has been fishing with a long line and you are taking the bait , or am i just being cynical. jag.
Focus '02'TDCi - how much? - Sprice
or
am i just being cynical. jag.

You're just being cynical. The OP has stated that the seller doesn't know he's interested in buying the car.
From what I know the engine was from a write off. I will ask him what the mileage was and if he got any evidence to support this when he had the engine fitted.

It's been in the car for a while now and he hasn't got any problems with it but just feels uncomfortable about the car (says that at 98K he thinks other things might start to go wrong with it).

Anyway I'll ask him without declaring any interest in buying at this stage - will report back.
Focus '02'TDCi - how much? - Nickdm
I'm with jag - the car sounds a bit iffy to me:

- cambelt went west: no maintenance or servicing as per the schedule??
- aircon packed up, see above?
- keyed along the side: hundreds of ££ to re-spray?

If the asking price is that much below book, it implies to me that the seller is desparate to get rid, and/or the car is a dog.
Maybe - maybe not.

He drives the car every day and it's never broken down in the time I have known him.

The first time he mentioned any issues with it was when I mentioned that I was replacing my own cambelt soon. He has never ever complained about his car before so I don't think he is trying to sell me a lemon.

And remember he doesn't even know that I maybe interested in buying it yet.

I will of course check everything out before making an offer and only then if I am completely sure of it. It's not as if I am looking for a car at the moment so any doubt in my mind will see me walk away.

Personally I am not worried about a car with keyed paintwork - it will just be a run about and aslong as it goes well and doesn't cost me a lot to run I will be happy.
Focus '02'TDCi - how much? - DP
- cambelt went west: no maintenance or servicing as per the
schedule??

IIRC, the schedule is 100k for cambelt changes on these Focus diesels. Sounds like it failed prematurely (in which case if it was my car I'd have been kicking Ford's backside for a brand new engine rather than prat about with a secondhand replacement).