Renault 21 Savanna emission problems - Deathlok
I have a R21 Savanna on a 'J' plate which has done about 120K miles. It is coming up for its MOT and I have been doing what I can to keep the repair bill manageable.

The bit that I cannot sort out and which is driving me crazy are the CO emissions, they are at around 12% and no matter what I adjust or do, it does not go below this.

To date I have;

Changed the air filter, spark plugs, distributor cap and rotor arm. In the last 9-10 months, I have changed all the HT leads and performed an oil filter and oil change.

The mixture has been weakened as much as is physically possible but the problem persists. I am at the end of my tether and have run out of ideas at this point and the MOT is now 5 days away....

I have heard that the Solex carburettors on these are not very good and are prone to problems, elsewhere I have heard that replacing with an equivalent Weber model can help. But before I get to this rather expensive point, I was hoping that someone might have advice that can help me get these emissions back to where they belong (3.5% according to latest DOT figures!!!)

Thanks in advance,
Mark
Renault 21 Savanna emission problems - Number_Cruncher
In no particular order;

Check that the crankcase breater system is clean and free
Check that the float chamber venting valve works correctly - IIRC there's a valve which plugs the vent under certain throttle conditions
Check that the choke mechanism works correctly, and that the choke flap is opening properly
Check the float level
Check the air corrector jets for the idle circuit in the carb (get a Haynes manual which should show you how to work on the carb, and what jet does what)

Number_Cruncher
Renault 21 Savanna emission problems - Deathlok
Thanks Number_Cruncher,

I'll take a look and see what I see...

Kind regards,
Mark