Xsara TD alternator whine - David Horn
My Xsara 1.9TD has developed a whine at about 2000RPM which is coming from near the front of the engine bay. It's almost a groaning noise, and with the bonnet open there's a hint of bearing rattle. It happens with the clutch in and gearbox in neutral, so inclined to believe it's the alternator as I can't see it being anything else. No change to engine power or smoke.

Do these tend to go on the XUD engine, and are they particularly complicated to fix? 90k on the clock.

Cheers,

David.
Xsara TD alternator whine - LeePower
Had one of the serpentine belt idler wheel bearings whine on a 405 with the XU10J2 lump, took the auxiliary belt off & gave them a spin by hand soon found the source of the noise.

If it is the alternator you might as well put a recon one on.
You know, that makes a bit of sense - the auxiliary belt was tightened a month or two ago 'cos it squealed. Perhaps it was on its way out then and the increased pressure has seen it off?

Xsara TD alternator whine - LeePower
You got the manual or automatic belt tensioner on your car?
How would I tell?
Xsara TD alternator whine - RichardW
If it's got A/C it will have an auto tensioner. If not, just a manual. The bearing in the manual tensioner is well known for giving out, and this will cause squealing / whining. Usually the spring goes in the auto tensioner, and this makes a banging / clattering noise as the pulley bangs on the mounting.
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Thanks Richard - no air con so will drop it into local garage on Monday for them to take a peek. I'm guessing it's OK to keep driving it provided the whine doesn't get worse? Have to go back to Leeds tonight. ;)
Xsara TD alternator whine - Chug, Rattle & Knock
Had a similar whine on my 306 a few weeks after having the cambelt changed - It turned out to be the power steering pump. I believe the garage overtightened the alternator belt when re-fitting, although they wouldn't admit it. Cost me £110 for cambelt, £80 for belt tentioner (thought it was this at first), and then £150 for power steering pump.
Eek. I hope it's not something cambelt related, it was only changed 6 months ago at a cost of nearly £400.
According to the garage it's the belt tensioner, part £40 + fitting, should be done in the next hour or two.
Oh yes - many thanks to Richard for getting the diagnosis spot on as usual!
Argh! It's still whining, though now it's more of a whirring noise. Hope that it's just the new pulley wearing in.