Chipping - Pete W
If I have a VW diesel that is the 90 bhp version, what's the differenec in this and the 110 bhp version. Is it mechanical or simply a matter of 'remapping' or chipping ? Perhaps this sounds a bit thick but this seems like a good place to ask. Any offers on how to increase both bhp and torque ?

Thanks
Re: Chipping - Phil
IIRC the 110bhp ones have an intercooler whereas the 90bhp one doesn't. Chipping can still yield worthy results though.

Look in any recent issue of Diesel Car for lots of chipping info and places that do it.
Re: Chipping - Andrew Smith
From memory (and with debatable accuracy) the 110 bhp version used a Variable Vane Turbocharger.
Re: Chipping - Big Vern
What year? I think there is also a different / bigger fuel pump and mybe some other internal differences. A chip will provide a big difference in any TD car, but don't assume that its going to be the same as a standard 110BHP
Re: Chipping - Todd
Phil is wrong on this. The 90bhp VW does have an intercooler. Maybe he's thinking of a Vauxhall? Most 90bhp VW diesels have Variable Vane turbo's also, except the early engines. The power related differences are, as Big Vern says, a higher pressure fuel pump but also bigger injectors. Most of the extra power is from the bigger injectors, while the higher pressure pump keeps soot down.
Re: Chipping - Pete W
Many thanks everybody, I'll get a copy of Diesel Car and take it from there.

PS How can I tell if it's been chipped already as it seems much nippier than I would have thought ( it's an R Reg Galaxy ) ? I tried a few 110 versions from garages at the time which didn't 'feel' quite so nippy. Seem strange to talk of a 'nippy' diesel Galaxy but that's the way it is. Ask the previous owner I guess !!

Thanks again.

Pete
Re: Chipping - Todd
You almost certainly have a wastegated turbo, which gives more of a kick.
It will feel nippy if the previous driver was a "spirited" driver. Generally, the harder the car is driven early on, the quicker it will be. There is also some natural variation.
You can get an indication of whether it may of been chipped by measuring boost pressure. Another inidication is if the ecu has been visibly tampered with.
Re: Chipping - Ian Cook
Pete

Apparently the VAG TDi diesels are quite variable in the their performance, from one car to the next. It's something that Diesel Car has commented on many times. They also take an awful lot of mileage to loosen up - this could explain why some cars didn't feel quite so nippy.

Ian
Re: Chipping - Phil
Sorry got the intercooler bit wrong :( Getting Diesel Car is good advice tho!

About it being nippy, they are always saying in DC how these TDI engines vary greatly from one car to another. It may be well overspec as standard, producing 100bhp or more.
Re: Chipping - Pete W
Many thanks again, I will do all the checks and get a read for the weekend.
Re: Chipping - Eleanor Coughran
The difference between the 90hp and 110hp version is 20hp as intended by the marketing boys ;-)