Life span of an unused spare tyre ? - henry k
What is the life span of an unused spare tyre?

We have an S reg Mondeo and a V reg Focus both with totally unused space saver spares that are stored in the dark, in the dry, in the boot.
I have read that oft quoted "five years and ditch it" statement. But where has this come from?
I can understand caravan tyres and very low mileage car tyres that have been left out in the UV for many years etc needing replacing.
I recently had an, on the road, tyre on our V reg Yaris dumped, even though it had 3/4 mm tread on it because I did not like the look of the ageing in the walls. I assume it was an original.

I have read that the MoT checks may be changed to confirming the age of tyres and the failing old ones.

I obviously do not want to buy new tyres if the existing ones are still safe.

A visual check shows no problems to my limited understanding and they hold the pressure OK.

I fully appreciate the argument re safety and the "why risk it - change em" advice but is there any other info on the subject?
Life span of an unused spare tyre ? - quizman
This is the trouble with having a steel wheel as a spare, it just stays in the boot. I wish they would put an alloy spare instead.

It is the same with space saver tyres, they only get used in emergencies.

In answer to your question, I don't know, but my never used spare is 6 years old and if I had to use it I would drive slowly untill the other was repaired.
Life span of an unused spare tyre ? - Waino
I wouldn't have thought that there would be too much of a problem with a spare (IMHO). It will have been kept in the dark, hence there won't be any photo-degradation/perishing and it won't have developed any flat spots like a rarely-used caravan or trailer tyre. If it's the space-saver type, then you are advised not to go above 50mph anyway.
Life span of an unused spare tyre ? - LeePower
What most people also get caught out by is most space savers also need to be pumped up to around 55 to 60 PSI, read the information carefully on the sticker / in handbook.
Life span of an unused spare tyre ? - madf
The boot mounted spare tyre on the 1929 Riley 9 Monaco which I purchased as a student was over 30 years old from the makers marks.. Is this a record?:-))

SWMBO's 106 spare tyre is from the oroginal set of tyres so 13 years old and still sound?
madf
Life span of an unused spare tyre ? - Roger Jones
I asked around and searched the web on this topic when getting my Capri back on the road after 13 years in the garage on axle stands. Local Kwik-Fit said "they should be alright"; HJ reckons five years max; others said cautionary things about old tyres, even unused and stored in the dark. In the end I decided to change them, mainly because of their role as a primary safety-critical component. I'm not that hung up on health & safety, but there's no point compromising with tyres.

I have a friend who takes pride in getting megamiles out of the Michelins on his Citroen ZX. Trouble is, they are at least ten years old, and I wince every time I see them.
Life span of an unused spare tyre ? - Pugugly {P}
My acid test is the size of a contact profile on a bike tyre. Your whole life depends on that contact area and it needs all the help it can get in keeping me upright. So correct tyre press., decent amounts of tread remaining and the age of the tyre feature in this assessment.
Life span of an unused spare tyre ? - Brian Tryzers
Not strictly relevant but on my weekly visit to the wrong side of town I saw a Calibra wearing space-savers on both offside wheels. Perhaps its baseball-capped driver thought the red hubs went well with the paintwork of his car.
Life span of an unused spare tyre ? - rogue-trooper
not sure why I think it, but isn't the max recommended age 6 years?
Life span of an unused spare tyre ? - Cliff Pope
The boot mounted spare tyre on the 1929 Riley 9 Monaco
which I purchased as a student was over 30 years old
from the makers marks.. Is this a record?:-))

No.
My ex-army trailer has its original tyres dated 1954.
My 1949 Ferguson tractor has one original rear tyre. I replaced the other recently because the carpet tiles glued inside the cover were no longer capable of stopping the inner tube from ballooning out through the sidewall.
My 1947 British Anzani Motor Hoe has its original tyres.

I was told by a vintage tyre supplier that older tyres made of genuine rubber have a much longer life than modern synthetics.