Audi A2 tappet noise - HELP - pmbw
Hello,

I have an AUDI A2 1.6 FSI with just 35,000 on the clock. It was made in October 2002 if that helps. I am experiencing alot of tapit noise in the engine both when idle and when accelerationg and would appreciate some sounds advice before I take it into Audi Guildford. Please can someone give me some pointers. It hasn't had the cambelt changed yet but would this be the cause of it?

HELP!

Thanks,

Paul

{Typo in subject header amended - DD}
AUDI A2 tapit noise - HELP - Collos25
It could have stretched a little, at nearly five years old it pushing it little forget the mileage they start to crack with age after about four years. ,I would have the belt changed post haste.
AUDI A2 tapit noise - HELP - pmbw
Thanks Andy,

Will get it sorted straight away. When I was in France, I had it serviced by an Audi garage and check the belt and they said it was fine. However, the noise is now considerably worse.

Sound advice,

Paul
AUDI A2 tapit noise - HELP - George Porge
Has it got the correct grade oil in the engine, the belt won't affect the hydraulic tappits
AUDI A2 tapit noise - HELP - Screwloose
Paul

First check that there is enough oil in the engine. Are you sure this is tappet noise? The FSI has more than it's fair share of piston issues and at very low mileages.

Has it always been run on 98 octane?
AUDI A2 tapit noise - HELP - Aprilia
I would agree with Screwloose on this. These cars were not a great success for a number of reasons. Maybe think about p/x'ing for something else before it gets expensive (and believe me they can get expensive!)?
The car being serviced in France maybe points to non genuine parts being used? I would'nt condemn a car for the price of an oil and filter change, its much cheaper than a replacement car
I am pretty sure it's a tappet noise. We had an old renault 11 and it sounds like that. It's a continual banging noise which worsens when you accelerate and invreases with the engine revs.

I always use 98 octane but apparently it's the sulphur that's more an issue. I invariably go to Sainsbury's through convenience to fill up. Possibly this is notthe best fuel for the job.

I spoke to AUDI and they suggest it could be the fact that I do short mileage and do not use the vehicle for long periods of time (on average 2-3 weeks a time since October of last year). Consequently, the hydraulic pistons are a bit dry and all that is needed is a long run or two. Does this sound feasible? They will check it in any case.

As for the service being of dubious parts it was an AUDI garage, with AUDI parts and oil. The only difference is that it is a French garage which costs considerably cheaper than AUDI UK.

Thanks

Paul
AUDI A2 tapit noise - HELP - Screwloose
a continual banging noise which worsens when you accelerate and increases with the
engine revs.

Not a typical description of noisy tappets. Does it quieten when you ease off the throttle?
the hydraulic pistons are a bit dry and all that is needed is a long
run or two. Does this sound feasible?

No.
AUDI A2 tapit noise - HELP - Aprilia
Lot of folks on HJ BR are for some reason paranoid about 'bad things' happening to cars that are not used all the time. 2-3 weeks of standing is not a long time. Brake surfaces might suffer a bit with the weather, but hydrualic tappets don't become gummed up that easy (or get 'dry').
If the noise increases with load (i.e. when you accelerate) then that implies something a bit more serious than tappets IMHO - but there again I've never heard the noise and the Audi garage have.....
As for the service being of dubious parts it was an
AUDI garage, with AUDI parts and oil. The only difference is
that it is a French garage which costs considerably cheaper than
AUDI UK.
Thanks
Paul

" When I was in France, I had it serviced by an Audi garage and check the belt and they said it was fine. However, the noise is now considerably worse".

The above two statements conflict would'nt you say?

French Audi garages don't have to fit only VAG parts do they? They're not tied to Audi like here in the UK

Is the oil recommended for the UK and France the same specification? Given the differing climates, temperature ranges fuels etc.

Thank you all for your advise. It has proved helpful to me. I will bring the car to an AUDI UK dealership and they will hear it and see what they have to say. Hope it's not costly!

As for the statements conflicting I don't see how they do. The car was serviced by AUDI France and that's that. As for the parts being different I am assured by them that it's not so. Thanks for stating this, however. As for the climate, there temperament is very similar as it's in Brittany. The French garage told me that they put the exact replacement oil that was originally there. I will get AUDI UK to see whether this is so.

MANY THANKS FOR ALL. If you have anymore clues/ indices please add you opinions.

THANKS,

Paul
"When in France, I had it serviced by an Audi garage . However, the noise is now considerably worse".

I've edited your statement, does this help?

Hydraulic tappets need good quality oil of the correct grade.

I serviced my old Golf TDi last week, a genuine VAG filter and the correct spec VAG oil has reduced top end noise by 70%. I serviced it 12 months ago also using VAG products, the car has had lots of short journeys and lots of cold starts.

;O)

AUDI A2 tapit noise - HELP - dieselhead
If the vw 20k service schedule has been followed I would guess the tapping is caused by sludge in the tappets although it's very hard to say without hearing the noise. Is it tapping at half engine speed. A flushing oil, forte top end treatment, new tappet(s) etc. should cure this.