Ford Mondeo Gearbox - hillman1 {p}
Morning All,

I have an 02 Mondeo 2.0 which had a new gearbox fitted at the beginning of this year after the old one destroyed itself. My local garage did a good job and I have no doubt about their workwanship, but soon after it was done it became harder to get into 1st and 2nd gear and occasionally 4th. It is more obvious when cold, but is still there when the engine is up to temp. Sometimes when driving I need to try twice to get it into 4th.

In addition to this when the engine is cold there is quite a high pitched whine, not to loud though, which goes when the engine is warmed up- it didn't do this before so I guess it is all linked.

The car is due in for a service shortly and the garage have said they will look at what I have mentioned, but I wondered if anybody had any suggestions. Would a different oil help for example?

Many thanks!!!
Ford Mondeo Gearbox - Rattle
Indeed gearboxes can whine :). Was it a new gearbox you had fitted?
Hello, the gearbox was a new Ford part- I decided against a recon as there wasn't a great difference in price.
Ford Mondeo Gearbox - Collos25
It requires further investigation Ford boxes are one of the best about an 04 1.8 lx I have just sold with 80k was superbly smooth.If it is a new gearbox maybe its faulty and will be covered by Fords gaurantee or maybe the clutch is on its way out either way have looked at,and no it should not whine under any circumstances.
Thanks for the suggestion. I will speak woth the garage and ask them to look in more depth when the car goes in. When it was fitted the garage looked at the clutch and said that it was fine and to me the clutch itself feels ok with no slipping etc, it is just trying to engage gears that isn't so good.
Ford Mondeo Gearbox - jc2
Linkage???
Ford Mondeo Gearbox - Rattle
A linkage wouldn't cause the whine though would it? My dads old Punto whined when his gearbox was on its way out.
Ford Mondeo Gearbox - TurboD
Destroyed itself?
very strange- it is usually the intervention of a crap driver/owner/garage that aids this situation , unless with 200K +on the clock.
Poor change can be down to the clutch to a large extent. Anyway a Ford box will be under warranty, assume you had it fitted at a Ford dealership
The car has 99k on it- my driving is fine, I can't vouch for the previous driver. It was done at a local non Ford garage which I have used for many years. When they fitted it they checked the clutch which they say was fine.
Ford Mondeo Gearbox - Galaxy
On a Mondeo, if the gearbox has to come out, I would change the clutch regardless because it's an absolute pig of a job on a Mondeo, and very costly.

Doing it at the same time as a gearbox change would, in my opinion, be extremely cost effective.

For good measure, the clutch slave cylinder should also be changed at the same time.

Ford Mondeo Gearbox - kithmo
The difficulty in selecting gear could be down to incorrect adjustment of the selector cables and the whine could be the selector forks holding the gears almost in mesh when they should be clear. As the box warms up the clearances probably increase. I'd get the garage to check the selector cable adjustment, assuming they know the correct procedure.
Ford Mondeo Gearbox - track
Id say they have used the incorrect specification gearbox oil, or it is contaminated with dirt and debris from the manufacturing process. As it relatively quick and simple have the change it with the correct oil then see how it feels.
So many people think their synchros are gone due to use of the wrong oil.
Thanks for all the suggestions. I will try getting the oil changed before getting involved further.
Ford Mondeo Gearbox - Collos25
I 'll wager when you have changed the oil and the problem is still the same you will revert to option 1.
Morning All,

Further to previous posts... This morning When I started the car the gearbox whine I mentioned earlier was quite obvious. The one thing I hadn't noticed before though is that it is there when the car is in neutral with the engine idling. When the clutch is depressed the noise goes. It was quite cold this morning and I don't know i this would make a difference.

Does anyone know whether previous suggestions still hold true or could this possibly indicate something else?

Many thanks

Ford Mondeo Gearbox - DP
is that it is there
when the car is in neutral with the engine idling. When
the clutch is depressed the noise goes.

That's usually a symptom of worn input shaft bearings, unless it's a mk4 Fiesta where it's a characteristic.

The cold weather shouldn't make a difference.

Cheers
DP
Thanks for the reply. Would this be linked in with the gearbox being replaced as it wasn't there before that, or is it just coincidence? Could it also be llinked in with why I struggle to get in various gears when the car is cold?

Major job???

Thanks
Ford Mondeo Gearbox - injection doc
Its a known problem & has it got the right ford oil in the box? there were some mod's for selection faults, 4th sounds more like linkage or hub fault. Hopefully the clucth is clearing properly. Has any one checked to make sure gear lever is secure in floor, the hex bolts are prone to coming out!
The whine will only be g/box related if the wine goes away when stationary with the pedal depressed
Regards
It will hopefully be going in shortly for a service and the garage have said they will look at the gearbox as well. The whine does indeed go away when stationary and the clutch is depressed.
Ford Mondeo Gearbox - kithmo
I could be wrong but it sounds like the thrust bearing to me.