309 vs Astra vs ZX - David Moore
Shortlist - 309/205 (very impressed on test drive)
- Astra (ditto but reliability...?)
- ZX (again I like it but reliability and poor fuel economy?)

At the moment I am keen to find a 1.4/1.6 309 but where the hell can I find one? Also are there any real issues to consider with the above, esp. the 309?
Thanks
Re: 309 vs Astra vs ZX - Marcus
What about a MK2 Golf / Jetta - these are much better cars and both cheap and simple to maintain. I had a G reg Jetta 1.6TX and it ran to well over 150 000 miles with only routine replacements,brakes, exhaust, bearings etc - and 1 head gasket.

After I PX d it for a newer VW, it appeared on a local dealer's forecourt showing 85 000 miles and a guy rang me who had bought it - he was well pleased with his purchase and commented on how well it had been looked after - I didn't spoil his day....

It matters less what type of car you buy as who has owned it before you and how well it has been cared for: At this age / price you could buy a decent car or you could just end up with someone else's crap. - like the Polo you got rid of.

Rover 214s / 216s are also a decent bet as are Nissan Sunnys around j-k plate.
Re: 309 vs Astra vs ZX - ChrisR
David

I've owned one 309 (a diesel) and driven several others, including a truly awful 1.1 with four gears. The 1.6 (an SR, I think) seemed rather gutless compared with the 1.9 diesel, probably because it was undergeared in gears 1-3. There are plenty around, and they are mostly rust-free. But take a look inside the front of the front wheel arches, and behind the front bumper. Mine was beginning to go around the suspension mountings at the rear but looked smart on the outside. But it was a seaside (docks actually) car, so maybe it was an exception. They are very reliable and simple cars, even if they seem flimsy from a trim point of view. Maybe that's why owners seem to hang on to them.

Best of luck
Chris

PS. that 1.6 is now on 160,000 miles on a C-plate and still going strong.
Re: 309 vs Astra vs ZX - Ajit Matthew
I had a 309 sri from 24k till 80k miles - except for a suspension strut, new brake lines, discs, a fan diode, nothing went wront. Plastics were a little creaky though. But with the 205gti engine inside, it drove hard but no cops or ..thiefs ever took note.
Re: 309 vs Astra vs ZX - David Moore
The 205 1.4 - any history, and at what price? I'd be interested if in Lancs/Merseyside. Thanks
Re: 309 vs Astra vs ZX - Andrew T
David - the 205 1.4 is in Runcorn. All original bodywork, 50K genuine, GTx 5-door model with ffsr and sports seats. Service history is all stamped up and March MoT. I am asking £1400 with the mileage, as it has had recent coolant, brake fluid and oil changes, and it is worth that to me as a nice drive. E-mail me if you want to see it.
Re: 309 vs Astra vs ZX - Andrew T
David - Why do you prefer a 309 to a 205 ? Do you need the boot ? 205s were made two years longer (95N). As it happens I have a 93K 205 1.4 with 50K and a 91H 205 DT with 87K which I might let go at the right price.
Re: 309 vs Astra vs ZX - Brian
I had an F 309 diesel for about 5 years from 30k to 125k and only changed it because we got a dog and needed an estate.
If you go for one from, IIRC, H reg. the boot sill is lower.
Re: 309 vs Astra vs ZX, + question: worth getting - David Moore
No VWs. No no no. Expensive to fix. Just... NO!! I have been but off them by the sh|te that is my Polo.
309 or 205 both very desirable. 309 more so because at 18 my insurance quotes have been lower on the larger engined 309s than on the larger 205s, plus I felt the 309 1.4 I drove was just 'solid.' Boot is nice to have when going away for weekend with friends or for when I start university. Plus I was impressed with the performance - over 110, on the clock at least. It was quiet too. I could go on, but compared to the Polo I really was impressed. Maybe the owners do hang on to them though because I CANNOT find one!
Closest match so far within a hundred miles is a G reg 1.6 GLX... if in good condition is it worth it or am I better to wait for a mint 1.4 on a J/K?
Thanks again
Re: 309 vs Astra vs ZX, + question: worth getting - ChrisR
David

Mine was fifteen years old when I sold it and still utterly reliable - sold it because I needed an estate. If the G-plate is in good condition and has some recent history, why not? They are all old now anyway. It's up to you.

You're right, they do feel surprisingly solid, but are engaging to drive.

Chris