Servicing reduces mpg - stunorthants26
I noticed a rather strange thing with my Suzuki Carry. I had it serviced at 8800 miles last November.
Prior to the service, I was getting a reliable 45mpg. Immediately after the service I couldnt get anymore than 38mpg.

Now, 5 months later, Im getting 42 mpg and its rises each month.

Why on earth would having a service make the van thirstier?

Before the service, I was getting 340 miles from a tank, but afterwards, i couldnt manage 280. Just puzzled me!
Servicing reduces mpg - Rattle
All I can think of is its something to with the oil they used.
Servicing reduces mpg - rustbucket
Vitually every company vehicle I have driven for the last 30 odd years has run very well and returned a reasonable MPG prior to the first service. From the moment the vehicle goes near garage the problems seem to start and the vehicle never runs quite the same again.Or is it my imagination?

--
rustbucket (the original)
Servicing reduces mpg - Hamsafar
Maybe the vehicle was affected by winter grade fuel?
I wondered if they reset the mixture or something.
Servicing reduces mpg - Hamsafar
You can't really reset the mixture on UK vehicles since 1994 it's either automatically stoichiometric or faulty.
Gasoline mixture must be 14.7 : 1 6.8%
That doesn't mean they did something, it could be the oil, but even then the change seems drastic.
maybe a combination of thicker oil and winter fuel?
They don't really do much on the first service do they?
Servicing reduces mpg - R75
I have noticed the same on the last 2 services, both different cars. The Shuttle was first, had about a 10% drop straight after, took 2 tank fulls before it was back to normal. My Accord was next, am part way through the 2nd tank and it is getting better, but was down to 26mpg (normally about 33mpg) on the first tank after the service.

I am convinced it is the fuel treatment they add, next time I might ask them to leave it out and see what happens!!
Servicing reduces mpg - madf
Air filter not changed, replaced incorrectly, hose removed, wiring not replaced.. any number of possible causes
madf
Servicing reduces mpg - kithmo
I noticed a drop in mpg after interim oil changes, as well as services, on my previous Mk3 Mondeo V6, so it's got to be the oil. With my present Mondeo TDCi there's no difference.
Servicing reduces mpg - mss1tw
I have noticed this too, I assume it is becuase the new oil is thicker.
Servicing reduces mpg - Aprilia
All they do at first service is change the oil and filter and then 'inspect' various things - no real scope to change any running parameters. You are describing a consumption increase of around 15% - I doubt this is due to thicker oil. More likely it is due to the weather warming up a bit...
The first service on my Suzuki includes changing the rear axle oil as the stuff it comes with from the factory is apparently to 'run it in' . Now it doesnt have to be changed again. Other than that, it is just an oil and filter change.

As for the weather, it didnt get proper cold here until January, so I dont think the weather was a factor.

Must just be the oil looking at what others are saying.
Servicing reduces mpg - John Doe
Perhaps it's the road test :)
Servicing reduces mpg - Jamesh266
Maybe they have over-tightened the rear brakes. As the brake shoes wear down, they are binding less and the mpg gets back to normal.