Audi A2 - Tom Shaw
Took the Lupo in for a service this morning and drove away in an Audi A2 1.4 TDI. courtesy car. Cor, it don't half shift! Thinking I was doing about 50 I glanced down at the speedo and saw an indicated 80 (on a private road of course). HJ's car by car breakdown has it as a three cylinder, you'd never believe it the way it drives.

But, oh those horrible A pillars. Big and wide, positioned so that in narrow town streets pedestrians stepping off the pavement between the parked cars are completely obscured just at the critical moment. This alone would make me think twice about buying one. Shame though, very impressive ride and handling. The Lupo is going to feel like a tractor when I get it back.
Re: Audi A2 - Trevor Potter
The Germans are going hell for leather on diesel engine developement.
Over there last year, I had a quick (!) drive of a friend's Audi
with V8 td!. Impressive or what?
On their showroom stickers it is quite commom to see an added figure of, say, 900Km. Equals touring range on one tankful!!

If we had diesel v petrol prices in same proportion as most of EU, proportion of new cars as diesels would rocket.

Last year, I bought SWMBO a Skoda Fabia Tdi.
Read THIS years Polo.

Over 11 months, she has averaged 59.7mpg!
Re: Audi A2 - Mahatma Coate
Doesn't alter the fact that however "clever" the A2 might be it is very cramped and very expensive for what it is.
Expensive, yes, but cramped?
Poor little me (at 1.90 and 105Kg) has 7cm between my head and roof.
Re: Audi A2 - Andrew Smith
Yep it is expensive but it's not cramped. I found my A4 felt quite small (and slow) when I got back into it after two days bombing around in an A2.
Re: Audi A2 - CM
I presume that yr A4 is better insulated than the A2 and that is why things seemed slower.
Re: Audi A2 - David W
Nearest I've got to an A2 was the one on display for the local hospital draw, we liked it enough to spend £2 on tickets!

Looked a really interesting town/short commute vehicle.

David
Re: Audi A2 - Andrew Smith
A4 is of course much quieter but the biggy is that diesels and my driving style seem to go together well. The Tdi has more punch at the engine speeds that I drive at. My petrol A4 would leave it for dust if I let it rev but I don't under normal town driving.
Re: Audi A2 - John S
MC

Seen a few over the last week (1000 miles). Is it the shape of the future? Hope not - I think it's awful!

Regards

John
Re: Audi A2 - Ian Cook
One thing not widely publicised about the A2 is the size of its fuel tank - 34 litres. OK for diesel, but how far would a petrol jobbie go?

Ian
Good spot - I had not seen that.

Obviously, near enough 400 miles range is OK for the diesel, but . .
Re: Audi A2 - Donkey Hoatey
I thought it was pretty awful for a car that cost 16k with a few options. Poor ride and drony engine and the seats are not what you expect of Audi. And it has the crappy VAG radio cassette without LW so you can't listen to the cricket.