VW Golf MK5 TDi's and DPF???? - golfgtdude
Hello All,

I thought buying some oil for the Golf (GT TDi 140) was going to be straight forward until I learned that it depends on whether the car is fitted with a DPF or not?

D.P.F = Diesel Particulate Filter.

I've scanned the user manuals intensely and cannot find any information to state that my car actually has one of these fitted.

Is there some simple way of finding out?

Comments Appreciated

Frank
VW Golf MK5 TDi's and DPF???? - wantone
Who told you that then.
particulate filters are part of the emissions system and what oil you put in the engine( vw spec) shouldnt matter
as i see it..
Look in your manual and the suggested oils should be in the back.
Does your manual actually say, oil depending if particulate fitted?
Simple answer would be to ask the dealer but i believe at most they have two types of oil for engines,one for pd's and one for others.
Wouldn't be of no great surprise though if one does all(including extended service).
VW Golf MK5 TDi's and DPF???? - nortones2
The zinc, sulphur and phosphorus content of some oils is likely to poison the DPF, so VW/Audi have specified VW507 (a low SAPS oil) for diesels with DPF. Its in the handbook SFAIK. Here is a short summary on the issue, which is not just a VW issue:www.platinummetalsreview.com/pdf/44-pmr-jan04.pdf . 507 can be used even on non-DPF engines but as wantone says, speak to the dealer! BTW, VW do require specific oils for PD engines, at least if you want warranty cover.
VW Golf MK5 TDi's and DPF???? - a900ss
Don't quote me but I thought only the 170's had the DPF. The 140's don't have one.