Paint protection - Andy
In the last thread HJ mentioned paint protection. I have just ordered a new car and the saleman tried to get me to buy paint and interior protection for £299 approx, Diamondbrite I think it was. The question is, is it any good or would I be better sticking to Autoglym etc?

Thanks in advance for any views on this.
Re: Paint protection - Honest John
Most paint protection packages are mostly commission. Autoglym Super resin Polish and Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection will cost you £20 or so. Extra Gloss lasts 4 - 6 months.

HJ
Re: Paint protection - Andy Bairsto
Just another con
Re: Paint protection - Keith
I agree. A con.

When I bought a new car It took longer to fob off the salesman from the paint protection, indemnity insurance, payment protection, finance etc than to choose the car.

I was going to have some options, sunroof etc. but got so pi**ed that I told him to remove those from the list as well.
Re: Paint protection - Andy
Thanks guys I suspected as much.

Cheers
Andy.
Re: Paint protection - Steve G
I thought new cars come with a paintwork/corrosion warranty as standard ?
What is Diamondbrite ?
Re: Paint protection - Bono Estente
Just another con....
Re: Paint protection - J Bonington Jagworth
Sounds like that would be a good question to pose to the salesman (i.e. what exactly is it?). If it doesn't extend the warranty, presumably it's not really that wonderful. Also, I should have thought that on a new car, the paint may well still be curing, and so not a good idea to apply anything to it for a while.

BTW, what on earth is the 'interior protection'?
Re: Paint protection - Bono Estente
>
> BTW, what on earth is the 'interior protection'?

It's probably very similar to what the 3 piece suite salesman offers you: a magical preparation that will fend off all those inevitable spilled drinks. For a small extra consideration.

Everybody's at it these days. That's why the economy's booming.
Re: Paint protection - Kevin

JBJ,

For new paintwork I was told exactly what you say, that it takes at least 6 months to cure fully.

"Just hand wash with clean water and no soap or detergent"

The interior 'protection' is like the Scotchguard stuff for carpets etc.

Neither of 'em worth it as far as I'm concerned.

Kevin...
Re: Paint protection - Mike Harvey
I used to sell the stuff as an add on, and can confirm the huge profit for the dealer, but it was good stuff. It cost us about £12 per kit, and sold at £200 or thereabouts. The only real cost was labour to apply the stuff. We had a problem with fade on a car ( Jamaica yellow,) and the company paid for a full paint, so you do get something of a warranty. The interior treatment was an aerosol, and as a demonstration you could pre prepare bog roll or tissues for the customer, and pour water or coffee on it and it just beads up and runs off. All the salesmen did their suede shoes with it! The stuff is OK, it's the price which needs negotiating.
Mike
Re: Paint protection - Tomo
I'm sure you are right, Mike. Only, I cannot see what difference any spray or brush on substance is going to make to, say, stone chips.

If it can do some good, would not a better paint job in the first place be even better?

Toad-san, by the way, goes to the wash where I apply the spray and brush with my own aged hand; Prudence Proton has now found out, due to a failure in the whirly brush place, that this facility exists and will now want to go there too. Oh to be young again, when only mater worried if the vehicle did not impeccably shine at all times!

Cheers, Tomo
Re: Paint protection - Mike Harvey
It did not make any difference to stone chips: the paint treatment was supposed to prevent colour deterioration due to ultra violet light, and make the surface so slippery that dirt did not stick easily, thereby needing less cleaning. The reps demo was to polish half a bonnet of a new car in the showroom, and then slide a silk hanky down it. The newly polished part made the hanky slide onto the floor.
regards
Mike
Re: Paint protection - Steve G
Mike ..
This all sounds like some dodgy 'infomercial' on satelite TV.
Does the salesmen put a blow torch on the paintwork as well ?
;-)

Steve