Big cars falling out of fashion? - stunorthants26
I was talking to a very wealthy Jaguar XJ owner who pretty much has the choice of any car and currenly drives an '02 XJ V8. We were discussing the road pricing issue and then we got onto his Jaguar.

He was saying that he hardly ever uses it now because large cars are impractical nowadays ( he has had Jaguars for 30 years ).

He said its useless in a multi-storey car park as it wont fit in most spaces and the tight turns in some make it nerve-racking to negociate, its too wide for many city streets and you cant even park it at Tesco because you need two spaces in order to be able to open the doors and ensure nobody gives your car a clout with their door or trolley.

He uses a Fiesta for the most part or their large MPV to cart large stuff around.

As such, his Jag has only done 5000 miles in the last 5 years and its only used for social functions and the occasional trip to their london home which has garaging.

What is the use of a large saloon now? Are they on the way to becoming obselete? Will luxury cars of the future be MPVs/Hatchbacks?
They certainly arent practical compared to other shapes, nor do they offer the best space efficiency for the extra cost over say a Mondeo.
He was saying that if he didnt adore the car so much, he would replace it with a posh MPV, although nothing ( and I agree ) is much better looking than the Jag he has. Is it really just about image and looks that people buy them?
Big cars falling out of fashion? - Martin Devon
He can so he did. I Never ever fancied a sports jobby. Always large fast saloons every time.

MD
Big cars falling out of fashion? - Murphy The Cat
Well I, for one, love driving a large saloon car.
I've previously owned a Mk2 Granda, a Carlton, a Scorpio and now my 300C.

MTC
Big cars falling out of fashion? - Cardew
I thought the future concept for large luxury cars would be something like the Renault Avantine(but obviously not of French manufacture)

From the pre-production hype I had high hopes for the Mercedes V class - and they gave us a van with windows; they really missed out on a potentially lucrative market.
Big cars falling out of fashion? - Roly93
I like bigish luxury cars, however I recently decided against getting an A6 Avant purely on the grounds of its sheer size. Lovely car and all that, but a misery to use in most multi-storey car parks these days.
Big cars falling out of fashion? - Avant
Exactly, Roly93 - the A4 - a 6-cylinder one anyway - feels just as big in terms of comfort and putting away the miles on a long journey. If you needed the extra space you'd probably have an MPV.

It depends on the range of engine sizes available. If Mercedes could fit a bigger and more refined engine into the B-class I'd have another, and never feel the need for a C or an E, let alone an S.

If enough people think along these lines, perhaps people wanting the big engine / medium car combination might be given more of a choice. What have we got at the moment?

Audi A4 2.7 or 3.0 - lovely but very expensive - but would hold its value well

BMW 3 or 5 series - similar comments to Audi - you can see why they're so popular. Our friend with the Jaguar would get most of not all the enjoyment he currently gets from one of these.

Vauxhall Vectra 2.8 petrol or 3,0 diesel - could be good but they drop in value like a stone. What Car quotes 24 % of cost after 3 years for the petrol

Alfa 159 2.4 diesel - a wildcard this one. Again might not hold its value but would one enjoy it so much so as not to care?

Volvo V50 T5 or D5 - haven't tried this yet. Any views anybody?

VW Golf or Audi A3 3.2 - all the tests say the 2.0 GTI is so much better to drive that the extra
refinement isn't worth it.

Actually now I've thought about it, it's not too bad a list. We need more in the £20,000 or les bracket. Here are some combinations I think would sell -

VW Golf 2.7 TDI

Skoda Octavia ditto

Mercedes B270 or 320 CDI (engine might not fit, unfortunately)

Ford C-Max 2.5 - and a 6-cylinder diesel for this, S-Max and Mondeo

6-cyl diesel Honda (Civic and Accord)

Ditto Mazda 5 and 6, and Toyota Verso and Avensis

Citroen Picasso 2.7 HDi

Renault Scenic V6 diesel

I've probably missed some other possibilities, but you get the idea.

I think if you wanted to tempt people out of big cars, you would have to offer them a genuine, high quality product that was only a step down in external dimensions but retained the characteristics of the larger car - B-Class but with decent trim maybe lol
Big cars falling out of fashion? - expat
It isn't just the size of big cars that people want. It is the relaxed long distance cruising. Loads of torque from a big engine at low revs. The ride is entirely different from little cars like Corollas and Focus. I have a 4lt Ford Falcon and it is a pleasure to drive. Parking is no problem here in rural Australia and petrol is cheap. Little cars are buzzy and tiring to drive long distances. They have their place in crowded cities but I wouldn't want to have to drive one myself. Even just going a mile down the road to the shops I will take my wife's hatchback out of the driveway to get my own car out because it is so much nicer to drive.
Big cars falling out of fashion? - Dipstick
I drive a jag too and no of course I have to live with about half the mpg (22-28) that lots of smaller cars get, and yes it can be a pain in multistoreys.

But.

I do want a relaxing car that cossets me and above all is quiet and comfy. That;s what I like. And whilst this Jag is not the quietest thing I've ever driven it's in a different order of magnitude to any other smaller car I've tried or owned.

If someone made a quiet "luxury" small car I'd go for it. But they don't.
Big cars falling out of fashion? - Big Bad Dave
"Lovely car and all that, but a misery to use in most multi-storey car parks these days"

What a funny criteria for not choosing a car. I do the vast majority of my driving on roads and a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of half a percent maybe in multi-stories.
>>What a funny criteria for not choosing a car. I do the vast majority of my driving on roads and a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of half a percent maybe in multi-stories.<<

Perhaps, but a car that you cannot park in town, especially if you live in town, is impractical.
Its no easier to parallel park an XJ as few spaces I see on the roadside in towns are big enough to park in with car that size.

In Northampton, the carparks are very tight to get around and anything bigger than a Mondeo can mean shuffling just to make some of the turns.

On the subject of small cars not being comfortable - dont know what small cars the poster was thinking of - choose carefully and you dont need an 17ft car to cover long distances in comfort, just a well designed one.
Big cars falling out of fashion? - No FM2R
>>In Northampton, the carparks are very tight to get around and anything bigger than a Mondeo can mean shuffling just to make some of the turns.

Never had an issue with the Landcruiser in Northampton.
Where do you park it in town?
Big cars falling out of fashion? - No FM2R
I used to park in the car parks at the bottom of the hill - kind of near where the roundabout next to Toys-R-Us is. Or in the pay and display places around the hall in the centre. Or at the top around the back of the shopiing centre.
I used to park in the car parks at the bottom
of the hill - kind of near where the roundabout next
to Toys-R-Us is. Or in the pay and display places around
the hall in the centre. Or at the top around the
back of the shopiing centre.

Some carparks are better than others - the exit from the Mayorhold multistory is not only narrow but has very high kerbs and ive seen countless larger cars clip their back wheels making the turn to exit at the barriers.
There are some places that are OK for larger cars, but its not universal and as such, its harder to find a space, if not impossible.
Big cars falling out of fashion? - oldpostie
In Northampton, the carparks are very tight to get around and
anything bigger than a Mondeo can mean shuffling just to make
some of the turns.

Wellingborough is even worse !
Big cars falling out of fashion? - LHM
I've been driving larger-than-average cars for the past twenty years (not, I hope, for any Freudian reason!) and find they engender a more laid-back approach to 'maintaining progress'. Drivers of smaller cars appear to have a far more frenetic style, which would be 'unseemly' in a bigger vehicle.

The Volvo S80 which I currently drive does, however, have the poorest turning circle of any car I can recall. Forward planning is essential when parking..... :-(
Big cars falling out of fashion? - Bill Payer
I avoid using even my C Class estate on short journeys, and trips into town. It's certainly a pretty tight fit in any of the supermarket, B & Q and park and ride car parks.
Our Jazz is much more suited to such surroundings.

I agree that a bigger car rides altogether differently on a long journey, but how often do most people make a long journey in their cars? I have to visit customers, and can sometimes can do 4-500 miles in a day, but then I'll be office (home) based for a month and the Merc never moves.

I love a lot of things about the Jazz (it's just soooo well put togther) but I really couldn't live with its ride or (lack of) seat comfort on a long journey, and it could really use a little more power. Something like a B Class (in that it's a lot like a bigger Jazz) ought to be ideal, but they don't seem to have caught on.
Big cars falling out of fashion? - Brian Tryzers
> Forward planning is essential when parking..... :-(

Backward planning too, I hope. >;---)

I second the comments on the turning circle of modern Volvos. Add that to a wide body and multistorey up-ramps are a buttock-clenching experience.
Forward planning is essential when parking..... :-(
Backward planning too, I hope. >;---)
I second the comments on the turning circle of modern Volvos.
Add that to a wide body and multistorey up-ramps are
a buttock-clenching experience.

Im glad its not just m - my mums Hyundai Coupe is much the same, but then maybe Im spolit by my Suzuki Carry - the turning circle is amazing, coupled with the PAS, its perfect for using around town and dead easy to park as you can virtually see the front bumper from the drivers seat and the back bumper is simply two inches further back than the rear window.
The narrow width is also great - meet another car in a narrow village street and you realise that in almost any other vehicle, you couldnt get through and would have had to wait - countless times Ive squeezed through gaps and the car behind me has to slam on their brakes, realising that they cant do the same.

I can honestly say, Ive not come across a car sized space that my Carry couldnt get in.... and when I think back to when I had my old XJ, searching street after street trying to park at my sisters place with on street parking.... Its only now I realise why small cars do make sense and with superminis becoming ever more refined and comfortable, its only a matter of time before they are a realistic option for long distance. I really like the look of the new Fabia - certainly looks classy to my eye.
Big cars falling out of fashion? - dxp55
I also drive a big auto and I drive it sedately but not slow - but if I get into SWMBO Yaris which seems like a go-cart I drive that accordingly - fast and furious

Dave
Big cars falling out of fashion? - spikeyhead {p}
I'm seriously considering changing my mondeo just because it can be so much of a problem finding an on street parking space in London. I tend to visit there a three or four times a month. However I also do abotu 30k miles a year so really need something that's relaxing to drive on long journeys, as well as returning better than 45mpg. Suggestions that fit these criteria are welcome.
--
I read often, only post occasionally
I'm seriously considering changing my mondeo just because it can be
so much of a problem finding an on street parking space
in London. I tend to visit there a three or four
times a month. However I also do abotu 30k miles a
year so really need something that's relaxing to drive on long
journeys, as well as returning better than 45mpg. Suggestions that fit
these criteria are welcome.

I think the new Skoda Fabia looks rather nice and with the most powerful diesel engine, its looking like a nice package. The best thing to do is go along and drive a few - everyone gets a personal opinion from their own experience - only you know what you really want and will know it when you drive it.
Big cars falling out of fashion? - Big Bad Dave
"I'm seriously considering changing my mondeo just because it can be so much of a problem finding an on street parking space in London. I tend to visit there a three or four times a month."

My wife and I work in Eccles, my kids go to School in Eccles and I've just joined the gym in Eccles. However I'm relocating the family home to Devon because we will be spending a weekend there in March 2009.
Big cars falling out of fashion? - bradgate
I'm seriously considering changing my mondeo just because it can be
so much of a problem finding an on street parking space
in London. I tend to visit there a three or four
times a month. However I also do abotu 30k miles a
year so really need something that's relaxing to drive on long
journeys, as well as returning better than 45mpg. Suggestions that fit
these criteria are welcome.
--
I read often, only post occasionally

>>

How about an Audi A3 2.0 TDI SE?

Ride and refinement should be acceptable without the stiff suspension and big alloys of the Sport model. 50mpg and much smaller than the Mondeo. Great stereos, too.
Big cars falling out of fashion? - Optimus Prime
It's size, pure and simple. The current trend amongst manufacturers (with a few exceptions, such as Honda) build the next car in a model line bigger than the last one. Witness the growth of the Focus, the Astra, the Mondeo, etc. The new Corsa is about the same size as a Mark I Focus, a model in the next segment up! And yet the parking sizes remain the same. It's all very well saying that you only go to a multistorey carpark once in a blue moon, but if that's when your pride and joy gets damaged then it's still a problem.
I just wish that the manufacturers would freeze the size of all models and slowly try to reduce them back to normal European sizes. We just don't have the space in the UK!
It's size, pure and simple. The current trend amongst manufacturers
(with a few exceptions, such as Honda) build the next car
in a model line bigger than the last one. Witness
the growth of the Focus, the Astra, the Mondeo, etc.

I did read somewhere that Mondeo is now bigger than the original Granada.

Cars seem to be unneccessarily wide too - there's actually little difference in width between the various classes of car, yet parking spaces get narrower.
Big cars falling out of fashion? - nick1975
To go back to one of the opening questions - what will luxury cars of the future be - surely we already have a good idea given the growth of luxury 4x4.

The X5, Q7, Cayenne, XC90, Lexus RX, Range Rover and RR Sport plus all the others are big luxury cars. They are everywhere here in Herts. Of course the consumption can be heavy and the 4wd is not really needed, but I suspect this will change, already the Lexus comes with a big battery if you like, and I'm sure some of these type of cars will start to become 2wd (not in the same league but I think the x-trail can be had as a 2wd)

So thats what i think will displace the big limo barges
Big cars falling out of fashion? - Cardew
Lots of the SUVs that are marketed in UK with 4wd are marketed in the USA with 2wd as the 'norm' with 4wd to special order.

The Hyundai SUVs sell more than any other manufacturer in the area of the USA I frequent, and I have yet to see one with 4wd.
Big cars falling out of fashion? - mk124
Optimus Prime and Bill Payer both your posts seem to carry the air of pessimisim and the belife that car manufactuers tell us what to buy.
On one hand this is true. My dad owned an MK1 renault 5 in the early 1980's and I now drive a P reg. clio. However nonsensical it is, I am drawn towards the new clio, since it has to the be the car with the same DNA, right? And so when models get bigger people will buy bigger cars.

On another hand the pesimism is unfounded. The small car market has endured a consumer lead revolution in the last 10 years. The very factor that has hurt small cars the most, safety, and the resulting bulk has been lead by consumers (or the press), not the manufactures.
We now have premuim small cars like the MINI and the Smart For Two. The small car market has more choice than ever before we get budget city cars like the suzki alto, and Peruda range for people who do want cheap, small but not very safe cars. We then move up the scale with the Fiat Panda rising at last to the fouth coming Renault Twigo and the Fiat/Ford Collaboration replacing the Ford Ka.

-----------------------------------------------

Torque means nothing without RPM
Big cars falling out of fashion? - Sofa Spud
MPV's, SUV's, double-cab pickups? These are today's big cars. Add the fact that Mondeos, Vectras and Passats are bigger than their forbears, the traditional mass-market big saloon/estate has had its seriously market encroached upon.
Big cars falling out of fashion? - ForumNeedsModerating
I'll keep buying comfy long wheelbase cars until the Gubmint & Local Unauthorities begin to maintain the cart tracks
they have the cheek to call 'roads', properly . I've driven many small cars , (and read/heard reviews of countless others)
& have yet to find one, (bar a 1980's Renault 6) that had anything like a tolerable ride except over the shortest route
& billiard-table smooth surface. Also been driven in one of those tiny vans - truly terrifiyng, uncomfortable & noisy - I would hate
to be involved in anything but the smallest parking scrape if wheeled-up thus.

Big cars falling out of fashion? - Roly93
MPV's, SUV's, double-cab pickups? These are today's big cars.
Add the fact that Mondeos, Vectras and Passats are bigger than
their forbears, the traditional mass-market big saloon/estate has had its seriously
market encroached upon.

A colleague of mine has an American double cab pickup which is frankly an office block on wheels. When he parks in our company car park (which is generous for space by most standards) it takes him 3 or 4 attempts just to manouvre in or out of his space, which can easily be negotiated by say a BMW 5 series etc. So this should be a consideration surely when choosing the size of car.
Big cars falling out of fashion? - Murphy The Cat
For the first time ever I had the pleasure of following a 300C through my home town (they are still a rare sight here) and for the first time I can see how other motorists percieve the 300C as being a huge, lumbering, cumbersome beast ----- because from the back it gives the impression of taking up the entire lane of the road.

I also had the pleasure of watching what people thought of the car as it drove past - and then doing an instant double take :)

MTC
Big cars falling out of fashion? - tyro
Seems like the problem is that the cars people choose to buy will be determined by the size of the spaces in which they park. If you spend a lot of time parking in multi-stories and other car parks, you are going to want a car with a small foot-print.

If all car park spaces in the UK were 6 inches longer and 6 inches wider, a lot of people would be willing to get longer and wider cars.

The answer is to build upwards rather than outwards. The Merc A class was the obvious example, but, to be honest, I find the Citroen Berlingo makes good sense - a real feeling of roominess, plenty of luggage space, but a foot-print smaller than a Ford Focus
Big cars falling out of fashion? - Westpig
surely this thread is coming from the wrong angle...

all cars have got bigger over the years.............you've only got to try to get an average sized car into a house garage to realise most won't fit........yet my 1968 Triumph 2000 mk1 goes in and out of my garage with no problems at all and that was a biggish car in its' time.............both our modern cars won't fit without an awful lot of shenanigans

It is the same with parking spaces. They haven't been widened over the years to cater for increasingly larger cars. Why not?

Big cars falling out of fashion? - tyro
It is the same with parking spaces. They haven't been widened
over the years to cater for increasingly larger cars. Why not?

It's a plot to get us all to drive smaller, more economical cars :-)

Actually, speaking of garages, my Berlingo is too high to go into my garage! But then the garage is full of other stuff anyway . . .
Big cars falling out of fashion? - Ed V
I believe that external pressures have already, and will continue, to reward manufacturers which produce luxury in a small package. The issue of 'ride-quality' is surely miniscule. That is, it is not the 27' length of a Jag which makes it nice to drive any great distance, but stuff like wheels, tyres, suspension, soundproofing, glass thickness, engine quality and so on.

I would expect 12' cars or less to become the norm, with attachable extra boot space perhaps for the few occasions the internal space really is inadequate. Like buses, car space is very inefficiently used.
Big cars falling out of fashion? - ablandy
one the car parking side of things, its not necessarily the size of the car, but more the turning circle. I had a 156 sportwagon which had an abysmal turning circle, which made carparks a bit tricky. I remember first time i went in one i knew well just after i got it and got stuck turning in, because i ran out of lock and couldnt get the swing.

The accord tourer (a much bigger beastie) is a doddle to park.

and it goes to london on a regular basis and we find spaces to fit.
Big cars falling out of fashion? - Dipstick
Once the funky self parking toy on the new Lexus LS gets into other cheaper cars, the problem of on street parking may be eased for drivers. The car itself knows whether a space is big enough, and if so, plonks itself in it.

Big cars falling out of fashion? - Group B
It is the same with parking spaces. They haven't been widened
over the years to cater for increasingly larger cars. Why not?

The people who are responsible for approving parking schemes are usually the same people who would prefer us to use public transport or go to work by bicycle. (tic.) ;o)

In badly designed multi-storey car parks with columns and walls all over the place, you lose a lot of manouvering space due to obstructions.
The car park under the Victoria Centre in Nottingham is very open plan and its a doddle to drive round and park. There's another underground car park down the road which is rubbish, and you see people struggling to get round it in Golf-sized cars.
"Something like a B Class (in that it's a lot like a bigger Jazz) ought to be ideal, but they don't seem to have caught on."

They haven't caught on because

- they're too expensive for what thy are: I got mine only because of a very good PCP deal
- the diesel - as regulars will be sick of hearing from me - is unacceptably unrefined (at least in town - it's fine on a motorway). I haven't tried a petrol one but I believe they are thirsty.

I agree with almost all of what's been said in this thread. We want a Golf/Focus/Astra size body with a refined, relaxed yet reasonably puncy engine. Personally I think you need 6 cylinders to fit this particular bill, and it needs to be a diesel as 6-cyliner petrol engines drink a lot of fuel. The A4 and 3-series do it very well but they are expensive. The last maker to do this sort of thing consistently and for reasonable prices was Triumph.

If we are a reasonable cross-section, there is surely a market for more of this type of car.
Oops - I've coined a word. There should be a use for 'puncy' but it should have been 'punchy'.
Big cars falling out of fashion? - mk124
If there was such a market for high spec middle sized cars why are there so many base spec Modeos and Vectras etc around? People have a chioce between a base spec Mondeo or a high spec Focus. Most people tend to chose the mondeo.
It seems clear that people are more than willing to get a big car when they want comfort. What is interesting is that people think one crazy for buying a 20K MINI since it's a small car, but they rarely look at the specification and say 20K for the X,Y and Z that the MINI has is expensive. In this world bigger is better.

Comparing a vauxhall cavalier and a renualt clio I would chose the clio every time, it leaves me grinning when parking it. Wonder why turning circles are never commented on in the press, are they just to boring. They do mention visablity though. One thing I I not so sure of is the visablity out of the new high sided type cars, I always feel I bit intimidated by them incase they don't see me.

-----------------------------------------------

Torque means nothing without RPM
If there was such a market for high spec middle sized
cars why are there so many base spec Modeos and Vectras
etc around? People have a chioce between a base spec Mondeo
or a high spec Focus. Most people tend to chose the
mondeo.

is that really correct? I would guess that very few Mondeo/Vectra's are bought new by private buyers, most are bought by companies, many of whom will choose the base spec. Once they get into the used market then Mondeo's and Focus's are the same price, perhaps with the Focus even being dearer.
Comparing a vauxhall cavalier and a renualt clio I would chose
the clio every time, it leaves me grinning when parking it.

That's fine for everyday use, but I've done long journeys in small cars (like Clio, 206 etc) and it isn't nice. It's a constant complaint from Mini owners that they're very tiring to drive on long journeys - the cars just too 'lively'.
Big cars falling out of fashion? - Nickdm
Don't know about 6-cylinders, but how about 5? The Volvo S40 comes in T5 (petrol) and D5 diesel guises, both top 180bhp. Seems to fit the criteria quite well.

I think we're talking about a niche which is probably too small for most manufacturers to consider though. Most cars seem to sell in 1) base spec (to people on a budget for that type/size of car), then 2) mainstream alloyed/airconned "luxury" Ghia/SE version, then 3) possibly a niche sports edition.

Using my example above, most Volvo S40 owners happily settle for the 1.8 petrol or 2.0D. I have a D5, and I just ***know*** that when I come to trade it in in 5 years' time I will be told that it is not sought after because no-one wants the cost of the bigger engine's running charges in a "small" car...