Diesel injectors serviced- new nozzles - artful dodger {P}
My Fiat Marea Weekend 2.4TD has now covered 93,000 miles and the injector light had been coming on from start up for about 2 miles. My local garage were unable to do the work, but recommended Kent Diesel Centre in Maidstone. They removed the injectors (5 cylinders) and fitted new nozzles, checked the cylinder compression (now at 350 compared to a new figure of 400), checked the boost pressure on the turbo and road tested the car - all for £360. It sounds a lot of money, but in reality it has reinvigorated the engine. The engine starts easier, accelerates quicker, seems more powerful and, most surprisingly, it runs much quieter loosing most of the low rev agricultural clatter.

The recommended period for servicing of injectors is 80,000 miles and I had been pushing it. Now I regret not getting the work done earlier. So if you have a higher mileage diesel car, do get your injectors serviced as they will make a huge difference to the engine.

I was told that the spray pattern was not being correctly formed and droplets were trying to be ignited instead. I should also look forward to an increase in mpg as well, so may be not so expensive after all.

--
Roger
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Diesel injectors serviced- new nozzles - chukter
Interesting thread, - just out of interest, would you know if your car is still running on the original turbo??? If so that is excellent.!!!!
Diesel injectors serviced- new nozzles - David Horn
Shouldn't a turbo last the life of the car?
>>out of interest, would you know if your car is still running on the original turbo???

As far as I know it is still the original turbo. It looked the same general colour as the rest of the engine when I bought it two and a half years ago. I did replace a couple of the vacuum hoses as a precaution as they were looking past their best.

--
Roger

Diesel injectors serviced- new nozzles - 659FBE
Were these Bosch nozzles? I'm very surprised that any attention was needed at this low mileage assuming that good quality fuel injection equipment was fitted and that other parameters such as injection timing were correct.

On a good installation, I would not consider pulling the injectors at under 150k miles and then only if there were rough running, smoke, poor starting or fuel economy. I have seen many Bosch equipped engines with upwards of 250k miles with undisturbed injectors.

Obviously, your engine needed attention but as a generality, I would recommend leaving injectors well alone if an engine is running well - routine "maintenance" can make matters worse.

>>Were these Bosch nozzles? I'm very surprised that any attention was needed at this low mileage assuming that good quality fuel injection equipment was fitted and that other parameters such as injection timing were correct. On a good installation, I would not consider pulling the injectors at under 150k miles and then only if there were rough running, smoke, poor starting or fuel economy. I have seen many Bosch equipped engines with upwards of 250k miles with undisturbed injectors.

Yes, these are Bosch injectors. I should mention I usually use Esso diesel and occassionally supermarket diesel, but I tend to do a fair number of short journeys. Every four thousand miles I also used an injector cleaner.

According to the service manual they should be fitted with new nozzles at 80,000 miles. I do not doubt that some vehicles can reach higher mileages before any work is carried out. The receptionist at Kent Diesel Centre said many vehicles are left too long (mainly taxis) and when they are finally serviced, the nozzles have been giving a very bad spray pattern for thousands of miles resulting in poor performance, increased smoke and increased fuel consumption.

I should point out that the warning light for the injectors had been coming on during the first couple of miles, until the engine was warm, for several thousand miles. So the injector warning sensor was detecting a problem that required attention.

Never having had a diesel car before, let alone one of this high mileage, fitting new nozzles was an experience never before tried so I did not expect much difference with the engine. Never in 35 years of driving have I found such a marked performance change due to a regular service item - only if the car was running badly off tune has a service done this. The only way I can describe this is like having a replacement engine fitted, so I am very pleased I had the work done.

Do any other BR's have similar experiences or comments.

--
Roger