Coolant leak - Seat Toledo TdiSE - cattleman6
My Seat Toledo TdiSE has been an incredibly reliable car. I bought it towards the end of 1999. The car has never let me down.
The milleage is now 136,000 miles on the clock.
Unfortunately when I do my regular long distance runs of 220 miles twice or three times weekly, the coolant level goes from the maximum line to the minimum line after each 220 mile trip. No oil lost just coolant. ( it still does near 60 mpg).
My local main Seat dealer has now given up searching for leaks. They have been extremely helpful; but they think it can now only be the main cover head gasget. ( previously they replaced the water pump and a split rubber hose).
It all depresses me, as it is far the best car I have ever had.
I would greatly appreciate it, if somebody will tell me if they have any idea at all what causes the leak. I know they can be impossible to find though.
Seat Toledo TDiSE coolant loss. - cattleman6
My Seat Toledo TDiSE 110 bhp keeps loosing coolant . It goes to the min level after about 200 miles motorway cruising.
It does near 60 miles per gallon and isn't using oil.
The Seat main dealer although initially helpful has given up searching for leaks. ( They replaced the water pump and a split hose). The coolant still leaks.
Please I wonder, can someone think of something that is causing the leak.? Perhaps something else that the dealer should check.
The dealer thinks the cover head gasget may be starting to leak.
The car has now done 135,000 mile and has never let me down.I bought it new at the end of 1999.
Pllease,I would greatly appreciate any help at all.
Seat Toledo TDiSE coolant loss. - Rattle
Have you noticed any power loss? Is there any signs of excessive smoke from the back? What colour is the oil? Is there any mayo in the filler cap?
Very many thanks for replying and making your useful suggestions " Rattle ". I very much appreciate it.
Tomorrow I do a 220 mile motorway trip, so I will check the car thoroughly the following day when there is proper daylight. I will also watch for loss of power and smoking . So far the car seems amazingly good except for the coolant leak. When I start it in very cold weather there is a fair bit of smoke on start up; then it disapears when it warms up.
I will keep a decent look out and thoroughly check it. It has been such a reliable car, it really would upset me if I had to replace it.
Very many thanks once again!!
Seat Toledo TDiSE coolant loss. - Collos25
When you say it drops to minimum does it stay there as this is not unusual the maximum mark is usually the warm expanded level.
Seat Toledo TDiSE coolant loss. - George Porge
220 miles is 4 + hours driving and the car loses less than a pint of coolant.

If this were my car I'd change the coolant cap first, then remove each and every coolant hose and clean the corrosion from inside the rubber hoses and their destinations. In particular the 2 small hoses that connect to the oil heat exchanger (sandwiched between the oil filter and the engine block) if fitted.
Seat Toledo TDiSE coolant loss. - mss1tw
Coolant cap solved a similar leak for me on another car.

Other than that, heater matrix? Does the air from the vents smell different now?
I just wanted to say a very big " thanyou" to; Rattle, Andy Blairsto, Dox and mss1tw for all taking the trouble to reply to my email. I really am extremely grateful. I was very anxious when the garrage thought it was much more serious. I thought I would have to get rid of such an incredibly reliable car. Luckily after a couple of other long trips the coolant loss is almost not at all. I personally just want them to replace the cap. Very many thanks!!!
Seat Toledo TDiSE coolant loss. - mss1tw
I thought I would have to get rid of such an incredibly reliable car.

Glad to read that! (I have exactly the same car...)