Volvo S40 Diesel - Servicing - LinuxGeek
I bought an S plate 1.9TD Volvo S40 today, its got 114k on the clock and it needs service. I'm planning to do it all myself with the help of a mechanic friend. I need to change the oil in the gearbox (its manual) because it feels stiff when changing gears. Would you please let me know what engine oil shall i use to get the best possible MPG and what oil shall I use for gearbox? Shall I get the gearbox oil from Volvo dealer or something from Eurocarparts of GSF would do the job?
Volvo S40 Diesel - Servicing - Collos25
The last thing these cars have is a stiff gearbox when working correctly changing the oil will not make any difference ,more likely to be linkage problem or is it that it feels stiff compared with your old car when got into a mondeo after a Citroen I could not believe how easy the gearbox changed.
Andy changing from 2nd to 3rd gear is not very smooth at all. Is there anything at all I could do to make it smoother?
If as you say it came from a farm a close look on the underside might be the order of the day can you imagine the crud it will have picked up.
I'll jacking up the car tomorrow and would use jetwash to wash off all the mud that'll be underneath the car but is there anything else I could do to prevent further damage?
You seem to be taking the sensible approach just take it as it comes.