Mazda RX-8: reliable second hand buy? - Gazza
I am currently looking at 53/04 Reg RX-8 (231 bhp) with around 90k to 120k on the clock, ex-fleet for £8000 to £10,000. Since this is the first time I have considered a rotory engine, are they as reliable as conventional engine cars? How long will those rotor tips last?

I have read the car by car breakdown. Bearing in mind I do 20,000 miles a year, I fully accept the high fuel and oil costs but I am not hoping the RX-8 will run to 150k without major engine work required, like my Nissan QX and Mondeo TDCi.

Many thanks,
Gazza
Mazda RX-8: reliable second hand buy? - sony
My father in law owned one for about 2 years. He then did Sheffield- Leeds on a daily basis. Nice car, well equipped, and very fast.
20k a year in an RX8 though, ouch! But then as you said, if you accept the fuel and oil costs then the Rx8 is a great choice, and its great value too for what it is.
What personally put me off is the sound of the engine. It's no V6, and if I was after a petrol engine with 230 bhp under the bonnet I would personally look for something with a nice roar as i put my foot down, and it'slikely it'd be that be more economical too.
Think is with me I like german cars- But there is no denying the RX8 is a nice car, and it proved to be very reliable. Dont know how well they cope after the 100k miles mark though, but can't imagine them being any less reliable, especially if they lived on the motorway and well maintained.
Mazda RX-8: reliable second hand buy? - jc2
Yeah!they sound like an early Mini!!
Mazda RX-8: reliable second hand buy? - pete&hisgolf
Loads of information here: www.rx8ownersclub.co.uk/forum/ though I haven't noticed anyone who has done 90K miles.
Mazda RX-8: reliable second hand buy? - IanJohnson
Historically no Wankel has ever proved to have a long life - American military looked at them because of the size/weight benefits but they were not adopted because of the running costs/relaibility.

It is all about the way the combustion chamber is sealed!

As for buying second hand and relying on the previous owner(s) to have religiously kept filling it with oil . . . . .

There are contributors here who would not buy a common rail diesel because it might have been misfueled and the risk of that is far lower.

At the end of the day it is your money.

Mazda RX-8: reliable second hand buy? - jase1
'Course you could argue that for such an engine to have reached 100K+ in the first place it'll have needed to have been looked after.

But in principle I agree -- an understressed V6 would seem to be more sensible. Guess it all depends on how much you like the sound of an engine screaming at 9000 revs.
Mazda RX-8: reliable second hand buy? - DP
If it were me I'd be buying a Nissan 350Z. Torquey, great sounding, reliable (by all accounts) and none of the potential hassles.

Personal thing I know, but I also think the 350Z is one of the best looking cars to come out of Japan ever.
Mazda RX-8: reliable second hand buy? - IanJohnson
'Course you could argue that for such an engine to have
reached 100K+ in the first place it'll have needed to have
been looked after.

You could also argue that it is about to expire, but this also applies to any car of that milage.
Mazda RX-8: reliable second hand buy? - Vansboy
Before you do anything, you'll have to find a miley one!!

I've seen several at the sales, with 50k ish, but none with mega miles!!

UNTIL TODAY!!! Just cliked Auctionview & there's my favourite, the 192 engine, so should be cloth, rather than the poor wearing leather & in Lightning Yellow (find another!!). No sunroof though!!

04 & 79k up. Guess a shade over £8000 would buy it???? It's in BCA Paddock Wood Kent.

VB