Diesel Corsa Clutch - T.G.Webb
At 46K miles my 1998 Corsa has an annoying buzz when under way (previously posted) which the dealer hasn't met before.
He reckons it may be a clutch problem but the car's too young for a new clutch and it's expensive.
The other thing is that I've recently had to have the clutch cable readjusted as it was becoming hard to change gear (pedal all the way down to floor before disengaging) which is the reverse of what happens if the clutch wears. Now I think that after only a few 1000 miles the adjustment problem may have returned.
Do these signs mean anything to anyone?
Thanks.
Re: Diesel Corsa Clutch - Matt
Sounds to me like the release bearing is on its way out and wearing the pressure plate fingers. Does the buzzing noise reduce if you try and LIFT the clutc peddle with your foot and therefore ease the bearing on the plate?

Matt
Re: Diesel Corsa Clutch - Trevor Potter
"At 46K miles my 1998 Corsa . . . . .may be a clutch problem but the car's too young for a new clutch and it's expensive."

Depends - 46K of mostly motorway, for sure longer life expectancy.
BUT 46K of town work? Use of sustained revs changes?
Driving with foot resting gently on clutch pedal? (that will of course wear release bearing rather than clutch plates).

I know that's not much help, but there really are several factors in guessing life of car components.
Re: Diesel Corsa Clutch - T.G.Webb
Many thanks Matt & Trevor,

in fact the buzz does quieten when the clutch pedal is lifted up so the clutch release bearing looks suspect. As far as the mileage is concerned I've only ever had to have a replacement clutch once, at 80K in a Cavalier, GM's last great car.

Many years ago an elderly uncle would go through clutches because he wasn't aware that he was depressing the pedal - I seem to recall that he must have had a hydraulic clutch because his garage rigged up a brake warning light switch in the clutch hydraulic pipe so that a dashboard light went on to remind him if he needed it.