SAAB 9000 how to change autobox fluid - Phil1000
Hi,

i have a '93 SAAB 9000 CDE auto. I wish to change the gearbox fluid and filter. I have been quote £100 + VAT for the job which seems a bit steep so i will get the spanners out! Can anyone tell me what i need to know such as location of drain plug & where the filter is etc, also anything to beware of and so on.

Any advice welcomed.
SAAB 9000 how to change autobox fluid - Collos25
I think if I remember correctly depending on box you drain them through the drain plug and fill them through the box dip stick hole carefully measuring the amount of fluid that comes out so as to replace the exact same amount.
SAAB 9000 how to change autobox fluid - Armitage Shanks {p}
I seem to recall that with auto boxes you can drain them and change the fluid, obviously, but you will not have drained the torque converter and this contains a lot of fluid. The point is that there are 2 items to be drained, not just one.
SAAB 9000 how to change autobox fluid - Phil1000
Point taken Andy, amounts i guess are critical.

Armitage - ref torque converter maybe there is a bit of a game to do that which is why i was quoted £100+VAT. Maybe it's not as simple as changing the oil!
SAAB 9000 how to change autobox fluid - Armitage Shanks {p}
Phil I think I am right about having to drain the torque converter, to change all fluid in the sytem but is £100 + VAT a lot for the job? It equates to about an hour's labour plus the fluid, roughly. If you only change the fluid in the box you will only have changed about half of the total content and that probably isn't what you want.