black smoke from exhaust - rover 620sldi - timbo1876
Hi, i have a 1996 rover 620sldi (don't laugh) it was free. When i accelerate i get big clouds of bloke smoke coming from the exhaust, it seems to fill the whole road. It has just had a service and the MOT is due soon, and i'm worried that the emmissions will cause it to fail, do you have any answers please, thanks timbo1876

{Car details added to subject header - DD}
black smoke from exhaust - rover 620sldi - glowplug
Has it had a basic service, oil,oil filter, air filter and fuel filter?

Steve.
---
Xantia HDi. - Float on!
Hi steve, didn't have an air filter, and i've been using forte diesel treatment but it still smokes, thanks tim
I'm on the look out for a tin of that for the Xantia.

What sort of shape is the air filter in? Does it have an EGR valve? That could be worth checking out. Have you checked that non of the induction pipes are blocked or crushed? How well does it pull?

Steve.
---
Xantia HDi. - Float on!
Havn't looked at the filter but i will check it out, The main intake pipe that runs from the front of the car to the bottom of the air filter box is missing. It seems to pull alright and the fuel consumption seems ok.
I was wondering if someone had tweaked the pump for more grunt, that would make it smoke more. I guess it's a process of elimination. Another possibility would be a partial blockage in the intercooler. Does it smoke at all engine speeds or just when on boost?

Steve.
---
Xantia HDi. - Float on!
It seems to be on start up and boost at all other times i don't notice it.
Is it that bad? Have you anything to compare it too? Does it start OK?

Most turbo diesels smoke when being driven hard or is it bad even when pottering about on boost?

Steve.
---
Xantia HDi. - Float on!
black smoke from exhaust - rover 620sldi - piston power
im confused is there a air filter fitted to your car? if so is it black with muck etc? this will make it smoke a clean air filter new fuel filter, clean fuel ie: drain tank all a good start. good luck
black smoke from exhaust - rover 620sldi - Xileno {P}
"The main intake pipe that runs from the front of the car to the bottom of the air filter box is missing."

I suspect that is the problem.