Yankee doodle dandy - Will

Just got back from the US and suffered a chevy cavalier - can anyone confirm this is actually a rebadged neon? Anyway, it was 2.2 litres and absolutely dire!!
Noisy, slow, couldn't hear the radio for wind noise and it only had 13k on the clock. I'm sure there are some good cars in the US but when you hire it appears to be luck of the draw and not based on the high brit expectations !! Anyone know how to get a "good" car for my next visit?
Re: Yankee doodle dandy - Andy Bairsto
No it has nothing to do with a neon it is in fact a US equivilent of a Vectra
Re: Yankee doodle dandy - Roger Jones
Always hire a large car in North America. I was never disappointed with the Chevy Impala and its equivalents, i.e. the big one in the GM range, whatever that is now. Yes, they're barges and all that, but they're very good at covering all those straight miles in high comfort.
Re: Yankee doodle dandy - Randolph Lee
Next time hire something with a big V-6 or V-8 and enjoy our cheap fuel...

Try a Lincon LS with sport suspension for back roads and handling
www.ford.com/en/ourVehicles/allVehicles/lincolnLS....m (shares a lot of bits with the Jag X and the Mondeo Giha)
Or a SVH Mustang 390HP and 390 Ft Lbs if you can find someone to hire you one (Sounds of horse laughs off stage)
www.svt.ford.com/html/index.html (SVT makes a Focus too at 170hp VBG)

or a Ford crown vic salesmans special for the interstates
www.ford.com/en/ourVehicles/allVehicles/fordCrownV...m
Last of it's kind a dinosaur of a car
 -  4.6L OHC SEFI
  -  220 Horsepower @ 4750 rpm
  -  265 lb-ft Torque @ 4000 rpm
all for about $22,000 MSRP but sold for about $18,000 say £13,000

Avoid the 4 bangers or realy anything under 3 to 3.5 L unless uour driving is strictly local... the distances are too long to want to be sitting behind a small engine thrashing it's heart out

horses for courses (but don't seriously expect to find someone to hire you a SVT product!)

~R
Which US Convertible? - peterb
Going to New England in the Summer (may even go to Nantucket, Randolph).

we're thinking of hiring a convertible. Assuming I can influence the hire company to give me a choice, is a Mustang my best bet? I don't fancy a live rear axle (Chevvy) and a colleague reckons the Sebring is dire.
Re: Which US Convertible? - Randolph Lee
Yes Peter Hertz Should be able to do a Mustang Convertible and would be my choice.
If you come to Nantucket Do not bring a Car the Ferry Charges are out of this world and the island is small and flat... come over by boat and rent a push byke (either a pair of Mountain type (cobble stone streets in town) or a Byke built for two depending on your choice) Hire it from Young's on Steamboat wharf and feel free to ask me about what to see and do and best pubs/eaterys etc.

~Randolph Lee
Nantucket Island USA
Re: Yankee doodle dandy - P E
We have had a Hyundai Sonata, and did nearly 4000 miles in it all over the western US and it was fine (for 2 people). Then, another time had a JMC Jimmy which was ok but not as nice as the Chrysler Intrepid we got when all the lights failed on the GMC. Go large!
Re: Yankee doodle dandy - T.Lucas
Go big,the bigger the better,van, truck or car but stick with the multi national rental companies,Hertz,Avis etc.
Re: Yankee doodle dandy - Flat in Fifth
Chevy Cavalier must have changed from the time I last hired one. T'was a V6 of indeterminate size, shell about Carlton sized and went like the bars, for a US car anyway.

Go to Hertz online site, as others say pick the biggest engine you think you can afford. If you want to push the boat out you can have Jags both X and S types, Discos even Range Rover, pricey mind, better if you have US metal.

Select the box "I was told to ask for rate code" and type in WOW. and you'll get a good prepaid inclusive holiday rate. If its for business travel its worth finding out if your company has a CDP number and get their discounted rate and inclusive deals. No I'm not telling you what my CDP number is!

Actually the Crown Vic someone mentioned is an interesting choice, especially if you get one in white. Reason is, as I'm sure Randolph will confirm, quite a lot of PD's use them unmarked for the detectives. Never sure if thats a good or bad thing but at least provides some amusement on a long journey. ;-)