Citroen ZX - dipstick tube collar broken - DHJ
When checking the oil level on my 1997 Citroen ZX 1.4i recently, the dipstick was a bit scrapey to withdraw. Once it was out, I noticed a broken green plastic collar, for want of a better word, near the top of the dipstick tube. This collar has, or had, a narrow rectangular cross-sectioned bore for the dipstick to pass through. I don't remember seeing it there before and I think I would have noticed, as inserting the dipstick would have been more of a precision operation with that narrow bore there. I'm wondering whether it got dragged up from lower down the tube when I withdrew the dipstick. Is this something that needs seeing to?

Cheers,

Dave
Citroen ZX - dipstick tube collar broken - SjB {P}
Given Peugeot-Citroën connections, likely similar in principle to that on my wife's 306 with 1.8 XU7 engine.

In her car's case the dipstick would stay "in situ" during town and A-road driving, but if given a motorway run or good B-road blast it would rise up a couple of centimetres under crank case pressure. The car never sprayed oil as a result (at least if there was a mist it was insignificant) but idle would become a little lumpy due to the air bleed until the dipstick was pushed back down.

Our Pug dealer confirmed this is a common problem, and a new dipstick complete with new collar cost well below a tenner.
Citroen ZX - dipstick tube collar broken - DHJ
Thanks for the helpful reply.

This morning I took the car in for an oil change at Kwik-Fit. After 10 minutes of searching, the fitter told me he didn't have anything to fit the sump plug. And in the process of replacing the dip-stick, he managed to shove the remaining half of the collar (which wasn't all that loose, I'd checked it earlier) back down the dip-stick tube. Is it liable to do any damage?

Cheers,

Dave